1978 Les Paul Standard

scozz

Reaction score
Yes I agree with @XpensiveWino,...it is a cool guitar! That tri-color burst in kinda unique.

Need to know if it’s all original, and if not what been changed. I’m not sure even then if I could put a number on that one.

Be patient, others will chime in soon. One person here that’s very familiar with Norlins, @HardCore Troubadour could probably give you a good estimate.

lpfan1980

Reaction score

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
maybe something strange here........we need more, detailed pics..

looks like there is no Made in USA....no they did not skip....... after 1970, it is there.
Font on the serial number is a little funky??
were they actually doing tri-burst in 78???

Last edited:

Moby Dick

Reaction score
More photos.
I’m certainly no expert, hence why I’m asking for advice here, but I would think these Norlins would be the least attractive of all the eras to counterfeit,(not that it doesn’t happen).

The tri-burst pattern caught my eye as being different as well.
One more thing that I noticed is the lower horn is very rounded like vintage and current Les Pauls. I know many from this era have the sharper lower horn.
The inlays look correct.
The neck is maple as is period correct with volume and burst pattern on the back of the neck and body.
The sales receipt surely adds to the provenance.

guitaroholic

Reaction score
Purely speculating on a worst case based on the missing 'Made in USA', maybe it has a really well repaired headstock repair that required a refinish of the black color and they had serial number stamps but no 'Made in USA' in that shop.

Then again, seeing the seem lines for the ears kind of indicates an old finish.

Take it with a big grain of salt from me, much better experts out there.

Heppe

Reaction score
My 78 have Made in USA on the back of the headstock. It is faint but visible. The neck i 3pc mable, top is 3pc maple and the back is 1pc.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
please do not use guitar dater....it is worthless.

sometimes the made in USA is a "light stamp" during this period....a blacklight test will tell thee tale as far as MIUSA and potential breakage.....

I have a sneaky suspicion of a repair......

yes 3 piece neck plus wings gives 5 pieces......but I think the poster meant 5 piece neck as used in the LE/specialty guitars in the 70's/80's.

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
I'm onboard for the neck repair, area re-fin and re-stamp idea. Blacklight is what is needed. There are some stellar repairs out there.

Also, I do not know enough about Standards of the era, but the bursted back and neck are often accompanied by a bursted back of headstock on Customs. This one looks solid black. Black hides things nicely...

Last edited:

Jake_Jakerson

Reaction score
Personally, I agree with Xpensivewino, seems sketchy, Blacklight the guitar would be your best bet! Also has aftermarket grovers (I don't think Grovers were factory, but metal Kluson esc tuners) and whoever owns this guitar put the Low E string on a unusual way...

P.S. I would not over pay due to a Les Paul Signature that's just me.

Last edited:

Moby Dick

Reaction score
The asking price for this guitar is $3950,
which is way high according to Reverb sold listings.
I was curious about what you all would think about the idiosyncrasies like the tri-burst and Grover’s as well as the lower horn.
I completely overlooked the made in the USA stamp, or lack there of.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
autographs....anyone's autograph, takes value away.

If this were a 100% stock, clean 1978 Standard, it would be worth somewhere between $$1850-$2250.

Your theory about the Grovers is incorrect.....I own a 1978 Les Paul that came with factory Grover, nickel milk-bottle tuners, just like these.......just sayin'

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
The signature is on the CC cover.......Meh............ not really a issue.

The price is stupid high.......

I have a 1978 Custom where the "Made In USA" stamp is almost invisible.... But it is there..... Only at certain angles can i make out a couple of letters,... but not the whole stamp. Some good pics of the control cavity and pick-up routes will help to determine if it had been refinished..... i think it's original, but that is only my opinion.

Without better pics...... my best offer would be $1600... confirmed original $2k....

Moby Dick

Reaction score
If it wasn’t for the tri-burst, I would probably go look at it.
I just don’t care for the tri-burst particularly would not pay a premium for a guitar I don’t love.
Prices have been really escalating around here, at least asking prices.
There was a 1984 Les Paul custom offered for $4k recently and the listing is no longer active.
Doesn’t mean it sold but the ad did say firm and it was near mint with the PAF stickers still on the pickup rings.