1978 Les Paul Custom

kakerlak

Reaction score
This is my late 1978 Custom,... bought it used in 1980 when I was 15.... everything is original.... a bit rare as it has chrome hardware, no gold. T-top are the stock pups.... no tarbacks or sticker pat-numbers.

View attachment 515654 View attachment 515658 View attachment 515659 View attachment 515656

And my other Customs.... 1977 left and a 2011 right.

View attachment 515660
OP, these Schallers would be the correct/original tuners for your Custom -- you can see the original holes from them out to the side of the Grovers.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
My first post ! Here are some pics of my LP Custom from 1978. Got for a silly price in 1982. I've given it a work-out over the years - the body wear is me, as is the neck which is down to bare wood in a lot of spots.. All original - except the tuners which were changed before I got it, hence the extra holes, and the knobs - it had witch hats but I couldn't get any replacements so I put these top hats on.. The pick-ups are interesting - a tarback in the neck and what appears to be a T-Top in the bridge (No epoxy and a Pat No. sticker). I've looked at the wiring and it looks untouched. Was this a standard Custom pick-up combination at the time ? I love this thing - nice medium maple neck - not the "slim" type I've tried on other 70's Customs and a really resonant 'woody' sound - not what you'd expect in a Custom.... The sunburst is awful to be honest but that was the 70's.
Beautifully 70's sir. Amazing piece of history!

crazy levi

Reaction score
I had a mint condition 79 silverburst I bought in 1993 and it had the reflector knobs. Maybe that's why I always thought that looked better than the speed knobs.

This guitar seemed like it had barely been touched or played so I figure it came from the factory like that.

Latest Threads