Which Greco LP is a better choice?

• 1978 Greco Les Paul Custom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1990 Greco Les Paul Custom Mint Series

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

valvestate

Reaction score
Hi folks! I'm planning to trade my Japanese made Fender Telecaster either with these 2 Japanese made Greco Les Paul Black Beauty. What do you think? Which is a better model here? Any idea what are the neck profiles and weight?

1978 Greco Les Paul Custom

1990 Greco Les Paul Custom Mint Series

jimmyjames

Reaction score
1990 probably made to more vintage spec. Long tenon, non-pancake mahogany body, mahogany neck. "78 probably Norlin spec, pancake (maybe chambered?) body, maybe maple neck?

valvestate

Reaction score
So I went to the guys house today and they almost feels the same

90s - louder output, almost same weight, 4kg?
1978 - strange.. it is lower output and the Inlays looks plastic? Just dull silver/gray

Both sound great.. 78 feels like the neck is thinner.

I'm torn.. was not able to perform the trade yet. :hmm:

Roxy13

Reaction score
This one is a Hosco so there is probably a good chance it would fit. I bought one for my Greco FA-95 (different shape as it's an es-175) and it fit perfectly.

It's also only 3 ply instead of 5.

Your other options would be to make one or get one custom made.

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
May I know why? 78 not that desirable?

Definitely 90s one sounds louder and beefier

It also didn't have a pickguard.. is it easy to purchase a replacement?
I have had both years, not Customs however and I could not give away the 78 EG500, heavy, headstock angle was almost non-existant, IHMO it was a piece of crap compared to my EG59. They are not rare and sellers ask way too much for them. Maybe I had a turd, but I doubt it. Just my experience.

Roxy13

Reaction score
From everything I've read here it seems Greco singlecuts from 1980 on are the most desirable. Prior to that the wood may not be as good, or it may even be plywood, and the neck angle is not set correctly. The 1990 is a safer bet.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those late 70s Greco have a ton of mojo.
Don't choose based upon a long tenon and a hog neck.
The 90 will have a multi-pieced body but the joins will just be vertical vs horizontal.
The maple 3 piece neck "may" have a diff tone but maybe not, it most likely will never warp being 3 pieces.
I would choose which plays and feels better, to hell with nit picking specs.
The only deciding factor when it comes to construction, for me, would be a nitro vs poly finish but since both are similar in that regard I would just choose which feels better to your hands and sings best to your ears.
The 70 might have a thinner finish to boot, which is nice.

moreles

Reaction score
I agree with the thought that the specs are secondary here. I like long tenons and thing finishes and worn but not flaking plating, etc., like everyone, but this isn't a matter of vintage collectibles and all those details pale alongside playability and sound. I would just go for the one that has the most appeal to you. Were I investing, I wouldn't be doing so with Grecos. That's not where the appeal is.

m5570

Reaction score
Weird, can't see them on my work computer... Buy the one that you like that plays better for you.