1977 Goya GS 80 Custom

Everton FC

Reaction score
My first post! Picked one of these up for CDN$50.00 last night. Original catalogue link below;

Set neck, a few dings, but everything appears original, from the tuners to the pickups. It`s made in Japan, I`ve read by the same factory as Kasuga, though that may not be accurate. The inlay is quite nice. She sounds great - albeit through the Squier Champ practice amp that came with it (they also threw in a 1969 Yamaha G50A classical, for free, as they were moving!) Having switched to acoustic when I got married, I haven`t had an electric since my old Silvertone hollowbody w/the Bigbsy from 1964 - a pawn shop find sold some time ago. This Goya is heavy, but it sounds fantastic - any string recommendations? I plan on getting it set up soon. Glad to join the forum!

Everton FC

Reaction score
I've been digging around and getting some info since I got it. I saw one for sale for > US$700. I think it's a pretty decent copy of an LP Custom. Needs to the original pickguard - that's all that's missing. Original owner thinks he has it somewhere. Sure hope so.

Would you say these were comparable to the Kasuga's/Greco's, et al - anyone know?

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Would you say these were comparable to the Kasuga's/Greco's, et al - anyone know?
Possibly if you are comparing the exact same year. However, Greco stepped up their game in the late 70s and by the time Super Real was around those models would have been at a higher standard for sure. I think Kasuga was considered a little higher up in terms of things back then but I haven't owned any so just going by rare posts I vaguely remember. If it plays well and sounds good then that's all that matters. Especially at $50! Wouldn't the 1969 Yamaha G50A classical be worth something? Pretty cool score.

Everton FC

Reaction score
At least $50 :thumb:
Indeed! I just strung up the old G50A with D'Addario Pro-Arte to raise the value to at least, $21.00 Canadian! ;) Not a bad little classical.

As for the Goya - I've never owned a Gibson electric, let alone a Les Paul. What strings do you recommend? I do a lot of fingerpicking, but used a pick pretty much exclusively when I played electric, prior to marriage and four kids! What's the value on one of these MIJ Les Paul copies? To my eye and ear, this Goya is a nice instrument - a bit on the heavy side, but not a big axe, but a sturdy, well made set-neck copy. The inlay is quite nice, but she's a nice instrument regardless of inlay? Thoughts on possible value - I know the Goya electrics were pretty much a Canadian, and perhaps English export. Enjoying the other areas of this forum, by the way. Good stuff. I'll post pictures soon.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Hard to talk about value based on an old catalogue pic... Doesn't seem to be much out there on the net. The catalogue pic kind of reminds me of mid 70s Ibanez. Is there an Ibanez forum? Otherwise, maybe post questions about it on the Tokai forum. I am sure it is worth more than $50. I would guess 400-700CDN but might be more because of the fretboard and if there is a cult following of that model. The issue will be that they are pretty rare and if no one is familiar with them, there might not be many interested buyers.

I think most people use 9s or 10s for strings. 11s if you don't bend much and play jazz. If you have the strings off, unscrew the pickups and show the bottoms and the neck tenon. And post some pics of the neck. Another thing was, I remember Greco used weird value pots in their 70s LPs, so it might be worth while checking that. I think mine had weird 300k

Last edited:

Everton FC

Reaction score
"Hard to talk about value based on an old catalogue pic... Doesn't seem to be much out there on the net. The catalogue pic kind of reminds me of mid 70s Ibanez. Is there an Ibanez forum? Otherwise, maybe post questions about it on the Tokai forum. I am sure it is worth more than $50. I would guess 400-700CDN but might be more because of the fretboard and if there is a cult following of that model. The issue will be that they are pretty rare and if no one is familiar with them, there might not be many interested buyers.

I think most people use 9s or 10s for strings. 11s if you don't bend much and play jazz. If you have the strings off, unscrew the pickups and show the bottoms and the neck tenon. And post some pics of the neck. Another thing was, I remember Greco used weird value pots in their 70s LPs, so it might be worth while checking that. I think mine had weird 300k"

I've taken your advice and posted over at the Tokai forum. I think the set neck and the sound alone make me feel I've stumbled upon a real gem. It's fun playing an electric, after all these years. I'll take some photos as suggested and post soon.

Thanks, one and all! Always loved the LP Customs - their sound. So diverse. Great neck. A pro set up is on the docket for this week.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
OMG, I never thought I'd see that name again.
My first (meaning the first one I bought) was a Goya DA300 12 string.
Ended up trading it for a Sigma in the early 80s.

eborej

Reaction score
Congrats on the Goya GS-80. The fretboard inlay reminds me of my first single cut from back in the day when I was growing up in Canada. It was a 1970's Goya that I have not been able to identify or find any pictures online. It had a dark burgundy translucent finish exposing some of the wood grain with a similar vine fretboard inlay and gold hardware. The top had a 2-tier carve around the edge of the body. I bought it from my guitar teacher at the time. Although it was a beautiful guitar I found it to be too heavy and sold it after a few years of owning it. Perhaps it was some type of custom demo model based on the higher-end features. Wish I had held onto it or even kept a picture of it.

Everton FC

Reaction score
Congrats on the Goya GS-80. The fretboard inlay reminds me of my first single cut from back in the day when I was growing up in Canada. It was a 1970's Goya that I have not been able to identify or find any pictures online. It had a dark burgundy translucent finish exposing some of the wood grain with a similar vine fretboard inlay and gold hardware. The top had a 2-tier carve around the edge of the body. I bought it from my guitar teacher at the time. Although it was a beautiful guitar I found it to be too heavy and sold it after a few years of owning it. Perhaps it was some type of custom demo model based on the higher-end features. Wish I had held onto it or even kept a picture of it.
This Goya's on the heavy side, and possible the same you had "back in the day". It's a great sounding guitar.

Everton FC

Reaction score
I thought it looked "Kasuga", to me. See catalogs images below - the LG380B, and the second, the LG770V, with the same inlay work. I must admit, I am excited to own this guitar!

Looks like they simply took the neck off the LG770V and put it on the LG380B, gave it a Goya headstock, and there it is! The fact it's a set neck didn't even hit me, until I brought it home. The other thing I find different on mine is the pickups - they are not the same as the Kasuga. They also don't look like a Northern LP's pickups. Anyone have a Goya that had similar pickups? Maybe these are not the originals (see photos above)?

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
I thought it looked "Kasuga", to me. See catalogs images below - the LG380B, and the second, the LG770V, with the same inlay work. I must admit, I am excited to own this guitar!

Looks like they simply took the neck off the LG770V and put it on the LG380B, gave it a Goya headstock, and there it is! The fact it's a set neck didn't even hit me, until I brought it home. The other thing I find different on mine is the pickups - they are not the same as the Kasuga. They also don't look like a Northern LP's pickups. Anyone have a Goya that had similar pickups? Maybe these are not the originals (see photos above)?
They look like the pickups in the catalog scans, to me?

Latest Threads