1977 & 1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom Questions

Gridlock

Reaction score
I bought a 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom new when I was a kid in high school. I actually got my first bank loan to pay for that guitar.

Kept that Les Paul until about ten years ago when I sold it. Sellers remorse has set in bad, and I looking to purchase either another 1977 or a 1979 Les Paul Custom this week.

Curious if one year (‘77 VS ‘79) is better than the other?

I recall that my ‘77 Les Paul had a pancake body. I don’t believe that the ‘79 has the pancake body which I think is a plus. Any thoughts either way?

Also did the ‘77 and ‘79 Les Paul Custom’s have the standard size headstocks? I don’t recall the headstock size on my ‘77 Les Paul Custom.

Only asking because I once owned a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom that had a larger headstock and I was not a real fan of the larger headstock.

Thanks a head of time for your comments.
Grid

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
pancake was phased out in 76

headstocks were all big during that time.

I can put 10 of the "best-know-it-alls" members of this forum in a room and play 5 different LP's.....

pancake, solid, swiss cheese, modern weight relief, chambered, etc. etc. and not one of them could identify, by sound which was which with any regularity.

Find one that plays well for you and don't worry about the rest.

Gridlock

Reaction score
pancake was phased out in 76

headstocks were all big during that time.

I can put 10 of the "best-know-it-alls" members of this forum in a room and play 5 different LP's.....

pancake, solid, swiss cheese, modern weight relief, chambered, etc. etc. and not one of them could identify, by sound which was which with any regularity.

Find one that plays well for you and don't worry about the rest.
Thanks,
Mine was truly a pancake body guitar, I guess my ‘77 Les Paul was in reality was a ‘75 or ‘76 Custom. Never checked the SN’s back then, and I assumed it was a ‘77, since that was the year that I purchased it new. The guitar is currently in my avatar.

Last edited:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Early '77s were pancake bodies,.... the serial numbers were decal.... the later '77s (around july and later) that had the normal stamp numbers were solid one piece bodies though the tops could be two or more pieces most were 3 piece but could be more.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
some were, but not all....there are 77's with decals that are not pancake.

I have never seen a 77 with the "new" serial numbering system with pancake, though.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yup,..solid one piece bodies did come in before those decals were used up...... the time frame i don't know... since those decals don't give any dates..... original pot numbers and T-Top dates can only get you so close.

Gridlock

Reaction score
I’m also looking at a R7 at the same time.

gball

Reaction score
I too had a '77 that I bought new, in 1977. Kept it for 22 years before I let it go and selling it is one of the biggest regrets of my life. Bought another '77 in the early 2000's and kept that for a while...Have a '79 now.

Agree with some of the earlier sentiment - there isn't really much difference between them. They all play and sound fantastic and are built like battle-axes. Find one that is in the condition you want and feels right and go for it.