1976 Hiwatt Custom 50 DR504

ErictheRed

Reaction score
It pains me to sell this, but at this point I need toilet paper for my family.

IMAG3832.jpg

00606_earulWysALj_1200x900.jpg

00C0C_aQDbrBZHHL8_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_hds8Gwnnq4A_1200x900.jpg

00404_al37A3q69gs_1200x900.jpg

00404_7pnO46SMM8E_1200x900.jpg

IMG950382.jpg

IMG950385.jpg

IMG950388.jpg

IMG950407.jpg

IMG950408.jpg

This is the one, a vintage original Hylight era four-hole Hiwatt Custom 50 DR504, super clean with original Partridge transformers, etc., all in great condition. The power cord was changed to a 3-pronged one at some point in the past, tubes and filter caps have been changed, but that's it. I took it to The Amp Lab in Campbell (best place in my area) summer of 2019, just for a check up. However, Keith told me after opening it that if it wasn't experiencing any problems, that he didn't want to touch it! It all looked good, so he just gave it back like it is.

I bought this on my 40th birthday almost two years ago as it's the amp that I always wanted, but it's just not that practical for me. Also over time, my tastes have changed and I don't really do "the David Gilmour thing" anymore. This replaced a Reeves Custom 50 PS, and the Hiwatt is WAY better. I actually find the Hiwatt more usable at lower volumes than the Reeves was. The Master Volume is very effective and you can get some nice mild overdrive at reasonable band volumes, but don't expect Marshall-like crunch straight from the amp unless you can get really loud. Of course, the intense headroom available means that you can get any flavor of distortion, crunch, or fuzz that you want with a pedal.

Absolutely the best clean tones that you can get, and the very best pedal platform ever made given the highly responsive Bass, Middle, Treble, and Presence controls. High and Low inputs, Normal and Brilliant channels, though like everyone I've always jumpered the channels and blended the preamp gains to get the perfect tone, then adjust the overall volume with the Master Volume. I definitely think it sounds better at lower volume than a Deluxe Reverb or similar, though of course it's way overkill if all you're doing is lower volume stuff. My point is that you truly don't need to crank it for stellar cleans or to use as a pedal platform.

Custom made leather cover also included (see pic).

Priced at $2,500 shipped and PayPal'd CONUS. Cheaper for local cash, but there isn't much wiggle room here. I'm assuming about $150 to pack, ship, and insure it, and will refund any difference if it's less than that.

Please don't offer me trades because I'm really not interested. The only thing I want right now is a Mayones Regius, preferably a Core. If you have one of those, let's talk.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ErictheRed

Reaction score
DAMN! Do I need another one!?? Yes I do! Let me just check with the missus but don't hold your breath. GLWTS
That's funny, my missus was just saying that she thinks I should keep it! She cutely watched some guitar videos on YouTube with me over our morning coffee. Definitely don't need to sell it, but I don't feel like it gets enough play to justify, though perhaps in the future it will again...

MCT

Reaction score
Keep it, man. Just get an attenuator and open up those power tubes! I have a ‘75 DR504 and hooking it up to a Power Station with the input volume wide open and master around noon is by far my favorite way to play it.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I've had many attenuators, most recently a Fryette Power Station 2. I'm just looking for a different sound these days, and a very expensive new guitar (Mayones Regius Core). My wife is great, but I don't think she has any clue about how much good gear costs...

MCT

Reaction score
I've had many attenuators, most recently a Fryette Power Station 2. I'm just looking for a different sound these days, and a very expensive new guitar (Mayones Regius Core). My wife is great, but I don't think she has any clue about how much good gear costs...
Trust me, better to keep her in the dark...if my fiancée knew how much I’ve blown on this stuff, oh man....

RAG7890

Reaction score
GLWS Eric.

If it were not right now I'd be all over this one...................plus the AUD has tanked vs. the USD.

I need to keep my powder dry right now in case two very close friends need some $$$$ to get by under the current circumstances & keep their businesses going.

Cheers, Rudi

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Bump, and price drop to $2450 PayPal'd, shipped, and insured CONUS. PayPal fees are $71.35, and I'm assuming about $150 to have it packed and shipped professionally, so I can't go any lower but will refund the difference if shipping is less. I'm willing to drive up to about two hours to meet for a local pickup (I'm in Santa Cruz county, CA).

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I think this is my final bump for a while, leaning towards keeping it! Not as portable as my Vibrolux was (considering I need to drag the matching oversized 2x12" cab around), but for my tastes I like this more, and they both fill the same kind of role: a mostly clean single-channel amp to use with pedals.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I probably will, though it's some serious overkill for my needs 99% of the time. Even back when I was gigging a lot more frequently it was overkill. That picture in my avatar was a gig played at New Belgium Brewery (where they make Fat Tire) on Halloween, the place was completely packed and we were told that there were about a thousand people there total, though maybe only 500 at a given time since it was a long night and people came in and out partying. That was my old Reeves Custom 50, and it was complete overkill, and I don't really do bigger gigs than that these days.

The only situation it might not be overkill for me would be an outdoor gig, but even then you have good PAs. I will probably will keep it since I sold the Vibrolux, like I said, but realistically it doesn't get the lovin' and playin' that it truly deserves.

Latest Threads