1976 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

lavern23

Reaction score
I’m pondering the above mentioned guitar that is pictured below. I haven’t been able to check it out yet but seller describes it as he bought it new in 1980. It’s a 1976 that hadn’t been sold. Said he played it a few times at home and it’s been in his closet. Comes with original case that looks mint. Asking price is $2800.00. I’ve seen pricing all over the place lately. What’s your thoughts on the price for a Norlin? Thanks in advance.
C207CDF4-4634-4B57-B377-B0B76E40A849.jpeg

judson

Reaction score
you in USA?

that seems like a decent price, would be great if you can go play it for awhile...70's have seen some increase over the past 2 years...where they go from here who knows.

For $2,800 there may be other choices of later years but the 70's took a ride up with all the others.

but if it does it for you...grab it!

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
nice looking guitar but we really need more pics....
IMHO all the pics in the world and it aint worth $2800, sorry.

there's a BIG difference in a real-deal 72 GT and a 76 Deluxe.

judson

Reaction score
i dont think Reverb is the bible of pricing but i was surpised to see Norlin pricing recently Hardcore...

but across the board pricing has been up for the past 2 years.

lavern23

Reaction score
i dont think Reverb is the bible of pricing but i was surpised to see Norlin pricing recently Hardcore...

but across the board pricing has been up for the past 2 years.
I am in the USA. When I saw it listed the pricing seemed a bit salty. Current owner says it’s mint, a time capsule. I know condition is relative. I hope to check it out tomorrow. Then I checked eBay and reverb and it seemed less that what those on those sites were listed and sold for. I’ve currently got 2 Les Paul’s. A 1983 30th anniversary gold top and a 1996 Custom Tripplett pickup black beauty that is solid Mohagany. I know this guitar will have a different sound than the two I currently have. Just wanted thoughts on pricing.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I get that people are asking $2800 for them, but I don’t see where they’re selling for that. Post a link to those SOLD listings… I have a 74 deluxe that surely is worth $3000 if that 76 is worth $2800.

I have a 76 that has been routed… Surely it is worth 2K?

Norlin selling prices have gone up in the last couple of years but they have not doubled.

Asking prices, however, have more than doubled…

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
let is know if you get detailed pics or go see it. price seems high to me, but not by much, depending in condition. I'm a bit partial, I love my 75 deluxe.

JMP

Reaction score
I can’t comment on the price, but if the guitar is truly in time-capsule condition and you’re on the hunt for a ‘70s deluxe, I’d grab it.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
sorry buddy, but this won't cut it........
unless you or the OP is buying a Les Paul Custom, and even then this is still a shot in the dark because it does not specify a specific year or color, which makes a HUGE difference in pricing.

Is a 78 cherry burst worth the same as a 74 in White?
Is that 74 in White worth what a 68/9 in Black is worth?
:slap:

Not ragging on you, but this is MOST people's problem, they don't do real research, on real pricing, for the instrument they are actually talking about, but they still want to talk about it.

If we are talking about a 1976 Deluxe, this is worthless.

Everyone always has no problem spending other people's money!!
The man asked for price advice, just saying "I don't know about the price, but I'd buy it" doesn't quite cut it either.....:rofl:

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
Hardcore....value is in the eye of the beholder...

provided the OP with more info than he had prior to the post.....is not an exact science and just my opinion ...thats all the OP was asking for , anyone can take it or leave it,

your opinion provided was just it was overpriced...ok thats what he wanted to hear as well....

:dunno:

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
I get that, but you provided pricing for Les Paul Customs.

don't you think that makes things more confusing?

that's all I'm really saying, no stress.
Dammm you are correct..I just read that from my snapshot...my bad

:slap:

its all good buddy not trying to play battle bots here..lol

EDIT:

but i went back to check Reverb for Deluxe sales and i will admit i am surprised at these prices...maybe my 71 and 72 GT might be on the block....nah i love em both

crazy guitar prices are getting like residential homes!! :run:

here are two for sale late 70's from reverb

Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 09-27-25 Gear Reverb.png

and here are 2 sold 1975 and a 76....the middle is a custom so throw that out

Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 09-24-00 Gear Reverb.png

on a serious note in another thread someone was asking about vintage Jr's and Eric Earnest who most know he deals in vintage quite a bit, made a remark the he felt vintage purchasing "might be a bit perilous" which i interpeted that as maybe that maket will get a bit soft......which i would love to see as i have been avoiding impulse buying of guitars and stocking away cash for the vintage market to retreat......would work for me :fingersx:

dam....maybe i need to switch to decafe...long morning post :rofl:

Last edited:

msalama

Reaction score
that hate themselves this time next year
Or perhaps not, taking the current rate of inflation into account.

Just sayin' though.

sparky2

Reaction score
I’m pondering the above mentioned guitar that is pictured below. I haven’t been able to check it out yet but seller describes it as he bought it new in 1980. It’s a 1976 that hadn’t been sold. Said he played it a few times at home and it’s been in his closet. Comes with original case that looks mint. Asking price is $2800.00. I’ve seen pricing all over the place lately. What’s your thoughts on the price for a Norlin? Thanks in advance.
View attachment 568528
That's a decent starting price, in my opinion.

I would offer them $2,550, and let them settle on $2,650.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
to the OP, if you check the serial number (I know this is a transition year but I personally wouldn't buy a '76 that didn't have the 00 numbering, easier for me to identify, 00 = 76) and it is legit, AND you're dead set on that exact color/year, I'd make an offer, but would NEVER pay that asking price. That said, when you know, you know, and if you've got your heart set on that exact instrument, hey, I get it.

Either way, please let us know what happens, nothing worse than these threads where you never find out what happened :)

grumphh

Reaction score
As for "the market getting soft" - what happened to guitar prices in the years just before and after the 2008 crash?

Will prices really move downwards again as the economy hits the curb, or will people just refrain from selling, waiting for pricing to go up again (along with a recovering economy) thus creating a sort of plateau?

Abozz

Reaction score
My opinion, the Norlin are the BEST tone you can get for the money. After years and years of calling them “bad” the prices are rising. I paid 2.600 for a standard from 1976 in almost mint condition and can’t be more HAPPY.

Latest Threads