1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom Winered - You gotta read that!

fguki

Reaction score
Friends from over the 7 seas!

So, last week - as you may remember - I wrote my first thread here. I won an eBay auction of a 1980 Les Paul Custom Winered (1 dirty fingers and most likely one Tim Shaw Pickup without stamping). Got into my car, drove 300 kilometers from northern germany to middle germany to the seller to not rely on temperature and dispatchers etc. to get it myself and saw, that the neck was cracked in the neckpocket! Basically pretty loose which the seller obviously tried to hide. Seriously guys, the seller even kept the light in the living room out and I as the visiting buyer asked for some more light in the room since I found it pretty dark! Bizarre story ...

Of course, the seller acted like he didnt know and luckily I DID NOT offer him about 600 Euros less, to have the neck reset. Instead I just got back into my car and drove home again with empty hands! God, I was pissed!

In my disappointment, I put up a search ad at our - what I call - german craigslist (actually an eBay site for private local ads) and yesterday some older man answered my ad and told me about this 1976 Les Paul Custom he has since 1988. Original condition. No breaks, no cracks etc. I asked for his price and he said: Well, in 1988 I paid about 1.100 Deutschmarks, so that would be about 600 - 800 Euros or so. I promised him the 800.

This morning I ran into my car, drove another 334 km to him, gave him the 800 Euros, took the guitar and ran and drove 334 km back home! 700 kilometers in one day but boy was it worth it!

Just tried it a little more at home. Holy guacamole! What a nice sounding guitar! I love it and to be honest: What a lovely ending to my story! Now, I am a proud owner of my (almost) dream Les Paul Custom! I MAYBE switch it to an early 80s LPC or just buy another one. We will see. No need to sell it, if it sounds great!

The seller did do some soldering to the original electronics which I will have rebuild to its absolute original condition as well as a service check, intonation and complete polish next week.

The last 1976 Les Paul Custom has been sold for 3.500 Euros here in Germany. I got mine for 800. I am happy ;)

fguki

Reaction score
... and believe me! He WAS happy about my quick visiting and the 800 Euros he asked which he is now lookin forward on spending on a 335 instead! So besides the fact that he could have gotten 3x as much for his guitar - we truly BOTH were happy faces, so I surely will sleep in peace tonight :)

Question: Can anyone give me a more detailed analysis of the serial numer? Which plant, which day, etc.? So far, I only found out that the 00 indicate 1976.

Cheers

BigTim

Reaction score
That is freaking fantastic man!!!! Congratulations on one heck of a score. Now mind you, I do not know what 800 Euros to USA dollars are but it sounds like a dream purchase. Now see, if you did not go to the trouble of taking that trip for the other les paul you passed on, you would have never found this one. And it really is a great looking guitar too!!!!! Also, since this is not exactly like your dream guitar but pretty close, what is your dream les paul? Also I would love to see more pics too if you get the time to!!! Please!!!

BigTim

Reaction score
... and believe me! He WAS happy about my quick visiting and the 800 Euros he asked which he is now lookin forward on spending on a 335 instead! So besides the fact that he could have gotten 3x as much for his guitar - we truly BOTH were happy faces, so I surely will sleep in peace tonight :)

Question: Can anyone give me a more detailed analysis of the serial numer? Which plant, which day, etc.? So far, I only found out that the 00 indicate 1976.

Cheers

Yours most likely would be from the Kalamazoo plant. But others on here will probably chime in as well.

fguki

Reaction score
Sure...no problem! Anything particular? Otherwise, I will add more pics when the guitar is back from service and polishing :)

800 Euros right now, are $ 902,13. Seriously when I he mailed me yesterday night, I almost fell of my chair - called him 5 minutes later and we had a really nice chat and put up the meeting at his house today. And, BigTim, you are absolutely right. Now I am not too much of a religious person - but if this wasnt fate, what is fate! Exactly. If the other seller hadnt been this jerk, I would not have put up my ad and this older fellow would never have offered me the 1976. Crazy wonderful bizarre fate story :thumbs:

HearHear

Reaction score
Wow nice catch! Now THAT is the way to score a classic Les Paul! I dream about doing exactly that someday.

BigTim

Reaction score
Sure...no problem! Anything particular? Otherwise, I will add more pics when the guitar is back from service and polishing :)

800 Euros right now, are $ 902,13. Seriously when I he mailed me yesterday night, I almost fell of my chair - called him 5 minutes later and we had a really nice chat and put up the meeting at his house today. And, BigTim, you are absolutely right. Now I am not too much of a religious person - but if this wasnt fate, what is fate! Exactly. If the other seller hadnt been this jerk, I would not have put up my ad and this older fellow would never have offered me the 1976. Crazy wonderful bizarre fate story :thumbs:
Well I am the type that does not believes things just happen.....but things happen for a reason! So However you look at it, if you did not take the trouble to go on that trip and get disgusted at the original guitar you went after, Then some other guy in Germany would have snagged that puppy up and we would be cheering him on instead of you!! Its true man!!! And you would be like, I only live 300KM from that guy who got that 76 les paul for 800 euros, what a deal!!!! You see!!

Anyways yes please just a few more pics of the whole guitar front and back and a close up of the front is all I am asking. Thanks

fguki

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, that the guitar has a Nashville Bridge installed but the seller gave me the original Kalamazoo ABR-1 as well ...Which one should I chose? I am new on the differences or the issues.

BOTH of the bridges are stamped "Made in Germany". Are they really original? Has the original 1976 Kalamazoo bridge been built in Germany? I guess I doubt that.

BigTim

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, that the guitar has a Nashville Bridge installed but the seller gave me the original Kalamazoo ABR-1 as well ...Which one should I chose? I am new on the differences or the issues.

BOTH of the bridges are stamped "Made in Germany". Are they really original? Has the original 1976 Kalamazoo bridge been built in Germany? I guess I doubt that.

It is possible that bridge may have been made by Schaller. So I am not 100% sure if gibson used one of those in 1976 or not. I do not remember seeing Germany stamped on one before. But it does not matter. It still works and they both look good. IMO though, the bridge may have been swapped out due to the pitting starting on the other one. Sometimes the Tailpiece would say Gibson on the bottom side of it, So did you happen to check that by chance??

Daniel.S

Reaction score

I would use the Nashville one, but that’s just me. I prefer that look on Custom’s.

BigTim

Reaction score
More pics:

It looks fantastic man!!! It is in excellent condition for the age as well!!! No bad buckle rash or headstock pings and dings. It was well taken care of and the finish on the back of the neck is still on there too. So it looks like it was not played very much either. You did freaking GREAT!!!! I will gladly pay you $1000.00 US Dollars for it right now!!!!! Just kidding!!! Enjoy!! I am very happy for you!!!

Rando375

Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
:wow:
Wow...just wow.
Congratulations on a nice 70s Custom. From the original owner too :applause:

fguki

Reaction score
Not original owner :) He bought it in 1988 :)

Heres a closeup of the ABR bridge. Not sure if its original. It MAY have been changed between 1976 and 1988.

DarrellV

Sharp as a bowlin' ball! Oh, Look! ..SQUIRREL!
Reaction score
Look like German made Schaller tuners too! I love them on my 82.

Not unusual for Gibson to use Schaller bridges and tuners on their stuff.

Wiring is easily fixed, and it looks to have had a re fret! Lots of life left on them.

fguki

Reaction score
Both of them have the same Made in W Germany stamp. Which tells me its a pre 1989 / 1990 bridge since it still sais made in WEST Germany. Before the reunification of Germany.

BigTim

Reaction score
Yes they are. And mind you, I just sold a set of those exact same tuners last week that I pulled from a crummy Yamaha fg160 acoustic guitar from a pawn shop I bought for 100.00 bucks, Then I took the old guitar to a music store without any tuners on it and sold the guitar for 100 bucks!! But I just sold the tuners on ebay and now my SG seems like it needs some new tuners. What a big dummy I was for letting those go.

DarrellV

Sharp as a bowlin' ball! Oh, Look! ..SQUIRREL!
Reaction score
Both of them have the same Made in W Germany stamp. Which tells me its a pre 1989 / 1990 bridge since it still sais made in WEST Germany. Before the reunification of Germany.
Now THAT is something I hadn't thought of! :shock: :h5:

Usually just what came on what year guitars...