1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom Tobacco Player w/ some issues $1400

Davy D

Reaction score
1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom Tobacco Burst

NOW $1400 plus actual shipping & fees. Paypal / Check / MO / Bitcoin

All hardware has been replaced with quality parts: Schaller Tuners, Tonepros Bridge/Tailpiece
Pickups are Gibson 57 Classic / 57 Classic+
Electronics have all been replaced. Pots are 500k w/ bumblebee caps, 50s wiring
Cavities are shielded
Aftermarket case is like new
Refretted at some point with frets I’ll call medium jumbo. Some wear but lots of life left to crown/polish when the time comes
10lbs 1oz

Issues to note:
Neck has a bit of a twist (see photo looking head-on at headstock to see degree of twist)
Finish is marred in a few areas where a synth pickup used to be installed and then was removed & filled
Much of the finish is worn off the back of the neck (Edit: one observer thinks it has also been sanded so consider that as possible if it matters to you)
Nicks, dings, scratches, buckle worming throughout
Bridge and tailpiece have similar marring in spots
Bridge stud hole appears to have been plugged and re-done (see photo showing treble side)
Second set of strap pin holes have been drilled
Extra holes for another type of tuner that were previously installed
No neck or headstock repairs. Black light reveals nothing that isn’t mentioned above.

The guitar sounds fantastic with this pickup and electronics combo and I couldn't tell the neck has a twist by playing it. The action and relief are within a normal range when compared with my other guitars. Tuning stability is good. It should make somebody a nice road-dog as-is or a fixer upper for one who wants to invest some TLC.

20 or so photos here
imgur album

AAD_8484.jpg

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
:drool:

dayummm....twisted neck and ridden hard...that thing is sexy...

great price...great idea Dools

if you uknow what your getting it will be sold quick

any chance you can provide a bit more detailed pic of the twist...

Davy D

Reaction score
any chance you can provide a bit more detailed pic of the twist...
I added 2 more photos trying to show the twist. It looks to me like a lot of it is concentrated in the headstock area when you look down the fretboard. If you sight it using the nut as an indicator you can see what I mean, not sure if you can tell from photos. The nut could be improved upon, which I can do myself but not going to take on the TLC aspect of this one so it'll be up to the new owner. I'd find the right Tusq XL nut and go from there to shape it a bit and file the slots. This nut should be easy to remove as it's only installed with a small dab of white glue and if I wanted it in there "permanently" I'd use 3 dabs and even then it wouldn't be hard to remove with that type of glue.

I've got this thing boxed up ready to ship so hopefully ya'll have the photos you need at this point!

judson

Reaction score
thanks for those pics...i agree it looks more in the headstock than the actual neck...

i still think its a deal, just bought something two days so cash is low

i agree someone with some skill could remedy that...

GLWS

Last edited:

swampblues

Reaction score
Just the headstock looks to have a tiny twist 70’s were know for that and they still play fine My 72 is a lot worse and sty’s in tune and intonation is spot on. Great price

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn still....that's nice.
They may be able to heat up the neck, and reset it, no?

Davy D

Reaction score
Damn still....that's nice.
They may be able to heat up the neck, and reset it, no?
That is one of a few options for dealing with it I would try it out as is before I made plans to have anything like that done

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is one of a few options for dealing with it I would try it out as is before I made plans to have anything like that done
I brought a guitar from guitar center, and after a few weeks I noticed the neck had a twist, and returned it. They told me they would send it back to Gibson to do just that....

Davy D

Reaction score
Still available. Talking possible trades but what I'm really after next is a 70-81 Custom in Black, White, or Silverburst. Like this one I want a player so I dont feel bad swapping pickups and pots.

Reaction score
I've never had such a conflict of emotions between being insanely happy with my new guitar, and being very sad I can't buy this one!

Good luck with the sale. It shouldn't last long

lpfan1980

Reaction score
1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom Tobacco Burst

$1650 plus actual shipping & fees. Paypal / Check / MO / Bitcoin

All hardware has been replaced with quality parts: Schaller Tuners, Tonepros Bridge/Tailpiece
Pickups are Gibson 57 Classic / 57 Classic+
Electronics have all been replaced. Pots are 500k w/ bumblebee caps, 50s wiring
Cavities are shielded
Aftermarket case is like new
Refretted at some point with frets I’ll call medium jumbo. Some wear but lots of life left to crown/polish when the time comes
10lbs 1oz

Issues to note:
Neck has a bit of a twist (see photo looking head-on at headstock to see degree of twist)
Finish is marred in a few areas where a synth pickup used to be installed and then was removed & filled
Much of the finish is worn off the back of the neck (Edit: one observer thinks it has also been sanded so consider that as possible if it matters to you)
Nicks, dings, scratches, buckle worming throughout
Bridge and tailpiece have similar marring in spots
Bridge stud hole appears to have been plugged and re-done (see photo showing treble side)
Second set of strap pin holes have been drilled
Extra holes for another type of tuner that were previously installed
No neck or headstock repairs. Black light reveals nothing that isn’t mentioned above.

The guitar sounds fantastic with this pickup and electronics combo and I couldn't tell the neck has a twist by playing it. The action and relief are within a normal range when compared with my other guitars. Tuning stability is good. It should make somebody a nice road-dog as-is or a fixer upper for one who wants to invest some TLC.

20 or so photos here
imgur album

View attachment 406507
THAT IS ONE SWEET NORLIN! love it my friend /aged perfect looks like fun to play- i would buy it if i could good luck!

Davy D

Reaction score
Price cut to 1500. Had an offer for that the first day but I think he's having a baby and MIA for now! Gonna be firm on that price. Thanks.

judson

Reaction score
i had to bump this as it is too good of a deal not to be seen up top....

my R8 got here today otherwise i am sure i would have been all over this last week...

Latest Threads