1975 Greco EGC-1000

pork

Reaction score
Hi all

Does anyone know much about these axes? I recently saw one and bought it, I really cant wait to hear how it sounds once its in my hands!
Might not be to everyones taste but I don't mind the 3 piece maple neck l was told that doesnt have a serial number anywhere so after checking the pickups -U 3000 - seller thinks it may be a custom order/1975 model

Any opions? They will be most gratefully received!

egci.jpg egcii.jpg egciii.jpg egciv.jpg egcv.jpg

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I think it's nice !! Not too heavy on the clown, just a real nice lookin' sunburst custom.

pork

Reaction score
I think it's nice !! Not too heavy on the clown, just a real nice lookin' sunburst custom.
I think so too, I like how you can see part of the maple top under the binding. Are these the ones that some people refer to as "clown burst"? As I said I dont know much about these ones, I thought the high end ones with the nice logo were from 1980-81
I recently also saw a black beauty version of this and kind of wish Id waited a little longer!
Oh and if it means anything it has nitro lacquer and comes with the fitted case

pork

Reaction score
Oh I got it now. I quite like the colour myself! I've done a little reading on this model, it's not as desirable because it seems to be Norlin era clone with the three piece neck pancake body but it's still seems like a solid geetar. The logo is much nicer than my EGC-500 but other than that it sounds killer

pork

Reaction score
Are these all Grecos or Gibsons? Wow they are loud, here's a pic of my EGC-500 - 3 piece maple top over what seems to be 2 piece mahogany back 3 piece mahogany neck rosewood fretboard MOP inlayes and different style logo
I guess it's kind of a clown burst, I thought more heritage cherry/birds eye burst but see for yourself.

IMG_3405.JPG IMG_3406.JPG

pork

Reaction score
So I still cant find much info on these guitars, anyone hObviously I wont know until I try but is there anyone have any ideas on this model and the U3000 pickups? Are these pre Super Real guitars collectable at all, I think I got this at a steal considering the specs (ignoring the fact the pickups may or may not sound great) and I've found it on this catalogue https://www.sharpenedflat.com/catalog/greco/1977/04.pdf

JDZ

Reaction score
If it is a '77 would be highest grade off the shelf model. Looks like fretboard may be ebony, which would make sense on a custom.

Above that they had Project Series, for Les Paul were EG1200, EG1350 and EG1500 and had to be ordered through authorized Greco dealers. Project Series models were announced in '76, show up in catalogs 77 to 79. These were 'Custom Shop' ten years before Gibson or Fender had. Project Series all came with a Greco Faultless Case (big plate on it) and lifetime guarantee. The Les Paul models had a 'Violin Finish'.

Some of the pickups at this time had the model stamped into the back, not ink but pressed into the metal. Started at U-1000 and highest was U-4000. These were Maxon made.
I don't know if pickups only went higher with grade of guitar or they were done differently for different types of guitars, which they did in Super Real and Mint eras.

There is an excellent Japanese website on lineage of early Greco Maxon pickups leading up to the U-1000 to U-4000 Ultra series and then all the way to DRY Z.
Get your browser to translate: https://jk-guitars.jimdo.com/

Pre Super Real they were mostly copying contemporary models and build methods reflect this. Super Real they copied the vintage era guitars.
Collectibility, Project Series Les Paul's are highly collectible in Japan, I don't know about outside of Japan. EG1200's pop up periodically for sale and price in Japan reflects that these are definitely sought after.

I don't know how sought after your guitar is, but a 1000 would definitely be a high grade model at the time.
Sending you a PM to point you to someone in Japan that knows a lot about Greco's at that time.

I have a few guitars from this time including some Project Series, but no Les Paul models (335 based and Strats). They are made like Gibson's were being made at the time, not like vintage Gibson. Greco Strats from that time led straight to initial Fender Japan guitars.
So there are definitely some interesting and desirable Greco's pre-Super Real. Your EGC1000 looks very nice - wondering if case may be original to it as well.

Play it, enjoy it!
OLD Grecos are cool in their own right!

pork

Reaction score
If it is a '77 would be highest grade off the shelf model. Looks like fretboard may be ebony, which would make sense on a custom.

Above that they had Project Series, for Les Paul were EG1200, EG1350 and EG1500 and had to be ordered through authorized Greco dealers. Project Series models were announced in '76, show up in catalogs 77 to 79. These were 'Custom Shop' ten years before Gibson or Fender had. Project Series all came with a Greco Faultless Case (big plate on it) and lifetime guarantee. The Les Paul models had a 'Violin Finish'.

Some of the pickups at this time had the model stamped into the back, not ink but pressed into the metal. Started at U-1000 and highest was U-4000. These were Maxon made.
I don't know if pickups only went higher with grade of guitar or they were done differently for different types of guitars, which they did in Super Real and Mint eras.

There is an excellent Japanese website on lineage of early Greco Maxon pickups leading up to the U-1000 to U-4000 Ultra series and then all the way to DRY Z.
Get your browser to translate: https://jk-guitars.jimdo.com/

Pre Super Real they were mostly copying contemporary models and build methods reflect this. Super Real they copied the vintage era guitars.
Collectibility, Project Series Les Paul's are highly collectible in Japan, I don't know about outside of Japan. EG1200's pop up periodically for sale and price in Japan reflects that these are definitely sought after.

I don't know how sought after your guitar is, but a 1000 would definitely be a high grade model at the time.
Sending you a PM to point you to someone in Japan that knows a lot about Greco's at that time.

I have a few guitars from this time including some Project Series, but no Les Paul models (335 based and Strats). They are made like Gibson's were being made at the time, not like vintage Gibson. Greco Strats from that time led straight to initial Fender Japan guitars.
So there are definitely some interesting and desirable Greco's pre-Super Real. Your EGC1000 looks very nice - wondering if case may be original to it as well.

Play it, enjoy it!
OLD Grecos are cool in their own right!
Thank you very much for the info, It’s really interesting although I still can’t find much info on these U-3000 pickups
Thanks again!

JDZ

Reaction score
Not sure what you are looking for on U-3000 pickups.
The link above has four part article on early Maxon pickups for Greco's; second part has this section:

U-3000 & U-4000 Mystery - of the flagship model that decorate the ~ dawn
As I mentioned at the beginning, but the top-level model of Greco EG series and MR series is equipped with a U-4000 or U-3000, it had helped to liven up the feeling of luxury.

There are pics there as well:

Have you pulled your pickups to try to ID and date them?
How do your pickups sound, do you like them?

pork

Reaction score
Not sure what you are looking for on U-3000 pickups.
The link above has four part article on early Maxon pickups for Greco's; second part has this section:

U-3000 & U-4000 Mystery - of the flagship model that decorate the ~ dawn
As I mentioned at the beginning, but the top-level model of Greco EG series and MR series is equipped with a U-4000 or U-3000, it had helped to liven up the feeling of luxury.

There are pics there as well:

Have you pulled your pickups to try to ID and date them?
How do your pickups sound, do you like them?
Stupid page wouldnt load for some reason, got it now and thanks for the info!
Damn guitar is still in customs being ahem, assessed...

moreles

Reaction score
Looks like an excellent guitar in all respects. Many of us don't think 3 pc. tops are detrimental at all (except in the marketplace) and I'd rather have a plaintop than a ridiculously figured veneer! And yours is not even close to clownburst. That's a fine guitar in its own right. Good luck getting firm info -- it's maddening!

JDZ

Reaction score
So those U-3000 pickups used ceramic magnets provided by Alembic! https://www.guitar-list.com/alembic/pickups-and-pickup-covers/alembic-hot-rod-kit
I see the reference on JK website that they used Alembic as a supplier for magnets, but not that they were ceramic.

Later on they talk about a regional shortage of cobalt (I think it was) that drove up price of Alnico magnets many times and switched to ceramic for a time, but I thought that was going into Super Real time frame (80's)

I haven't read this really closely since I originally found it and its been updated with more info since then.

At the time I was trying to confirm Maxon pickups in a '74 Greco SA, which I was able to do from the info on that website.

Last edited:

pork

Reaction score
Well got the guitar out of customs finally, on closer inspection the fretboard seems to be more of a very dark rosewood or some other material, there are faint streaks of very dartk brown in places and it seems a little porous in places. Other than that that its feels great, it has a slim neck compared to my other Greco custom that has a fat round neck which I love. Just waitng to hear from the seller but I think its a keeper.

Oh and it sounds phat!

rayspang

Reaction score
I'm thinking the pickups would be U-1000 or pre-U1000 if unmarked in 1975. Magnets should not be ceramic. Just sayin.

pork

Reaction score
Ok here are some pics, as you may or may not see, there are streaks and pores, maybe it’s a very dark rosewood? The seller sent a copy of the catalogue with the Japanese word for ebony underlined

Attachments

Latest Threads