1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe "Standard"

Reaction score
I have recently come across a special order Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Standard from 1975. Any ideas what these are worth? Are they better/worse than the customs of the era?

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Well what does it look like? Where's the pics?

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Best thing to do is play it and see how you like it.
People put too much emphasis on build year.

John Sage

Reaction score
As long as you're not getting screwed as far as what you're paying is concerned, any decent guitar can be tweaked.

Csharp

Reaction score
Sounds similar to mine. Some had 'Deluxe' on the back of the headstock, with a 'Standard' truss rod cover. They seem to be relatively rare, but are really a Deluxe with full size humbuckers from the factory. Any pics? Mahogany or maple neck? Mine has a stamped 6-digit serial and other details that date it to late '74.
100_3078.jpg

Reaction score
Here she is... Tell me what you can!

Attachments

• gib bod.jpg
    gib bod.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 198
  • gib bod 2.jpg
    gib bod 2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Gib Head 2.jpg
    Gib Head 2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Gib head.jpg
    Gib head.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 162

Csharp

Reaction score
With the exception of having a refret done, it looks dead original. I would put it between $2000 and $3000, maybe higher. It depends on whether the seller really needs to sell, or can afford to wait for the right buyer. It appears to be the darkburst finish, since the tobacco sunburst at the time was really black, not brown.

Also note the width of the top's center. I don't know if this was randomly done or not, but some have a wider center in the maple top, and can be off-center. Others, possibly earlier, had a narrow center that was usually in the middle, or close to it.

One more edit: The LP that you show has a gap between the neck and the pickup, which tells me that it has a short (rocker) tenon, if it makes any difference to you. Mine, with the 'transitional tenon' has no gap there.

100_1842.jpg

Csharp

Reaction score
The fret is on top of the binding, rather than having the fret ends covered by the binding.

As far as being amazing, I honestly never had any reason to want a different LP, or another one for that matter. I bought it new, and we've sort of bonded.

durgis

Reaction score
I have one, great guitar. Here's what I ran accros:

"- From 1975-1977 the number is typically found on a decal on the back of the headstock. This should be an 8 digit number that can be dated by the 1st and 2nd digits as follows:

From the Gibson Site:
99 = 1975
00= 1976
06 = 1977

Here's a quote "The Standard was not in production from 1971 through 1975. They were only available by special order only. In 1976 Gibson re-introduced the standard, and only 26 were manufactured. You will see a few 76's with the "Standard" truss rod cover, but if you look at the back of the headstock it will say " Les Paul Deluxe" and the serial number will NOT have a number starting with "00". The other determining factor,(besides the large patent number pickups) is the 4 piece pancake body.

The production numbers are available in the Gibson Guitar Book. Some day the rarity of this guitar will come to light and I expect the value to rise considerably. If you look at the pricing of the Standards of the late fifties, another limited run, you will see that they are the highest priced production models of Les Pauls.

The 2007 Vintage Guitar Price Guide lists this at $2500.00 to $3300.00. It may have gone up in the 2009 guide, I would expect that.: ds

Latest Threads