1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top

Jennysan

Reaction score
This LP is up for sale locally on Craigs List. I know 1975 was deep in the Norlin era but did they really use wood plugs like this in their sandwich bodies?

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 301

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 75 deluxe doesn't have that type of inserts.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Any pics showing the sides near the strap buttons?

Normally, both layers of mahogany were each one piece. But that looks like a two or more piece layer where the outline cut through the seam.

Jennysan

Reaction score
Any pics showing the sides near the strap buttons?

Normally, both layers of mahogany were each one piece. But that looks like a two or more piece layer where the outline cut through the seam.
No that's the only pic showing the sides. Rest of it looks like a normal beat up '75 Deluxe gold top. Even in the Norlin era I would not think they could make such a mess.

ARandall

Reaction score
Thats not an insert at all, its merely a multi-piece inner mahogany slab with the inner piece only just exposed. Many of the guitars had this inner layer as multipiece, but they usually did them for the Customs that were opaque.

Jennysan

Reaction score
Thats not an insert at all, its merely a multi-piece inner mahogany slab with the inner piece only just exposed. Many of the guitars had this inner layer as multipiece, but they usually did them for the Customs that were opaque.
Thanks for clearing that up. I always assumed that both slabs of mahogany were whole pieces when glued together.

ARandall

Reaction score
Many of them were. And it is odd or unusual to see the multipiece versions with the join - as even sunbursts from the era would have that area bursted and so be less obvious. Or maybe we could go chicken/egg scenario and say the bursted area was extended to the side at the waist precisely to cover possible multipiece seams

Jennysan

Reaction score
I would think extra glue joins would make it less resonant, even if on a small scale.

• Haha
Reactions: Who

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
No that's the only pic showing the sides. Rest of it looks like a normal beat up '75 Deluxe gold top. Even in the Norlin era I would not think they could make such a mess.

"Furniture building techniques" were implemented in the Norlin era.
Hence the use of multi-piece bodies and necks (more "solid", less costly).

That "wood patch" doesn't disqualify that particular guitar from being genuine.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guitars are glued (or bolted) together from a number of pieces of wood or plastic..... acoustic guitars wouldn’t exist without multiple pieces.... or violins... cellos....pianos... or any wooden instruments.

Gotta love trees and glue.

If it sounds and plays good... who cares?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Guitars are glued (or bolted) together from a number of pieces of wood or plastic..... acoustic guitars wouldn’t exist without multiple pieces.... or violins... cellos....pianos... or any wooden instruments.

Gotta love trees and glue.

If it sounds and plays good... who cares?

When you say "glue", I'm sure you mean "Hot Hide Glue"...
of the "highest quality super clear granulated hide glue" kind.
Otherwise, it's just a piece of furniture!

Latest Threads