1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom No longer available

decoy205

Reaction score
You can remove the truss rod cover to see what the neck Is made of

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Really nice guitar… But I promise you it is a 1975.

I own a deluxe that falls into the same category…

Is there anything else not original besides the pick up covers that you did not disclose?

I will also want cavity shots & the back of the pick ups…

Last edited:
Reactions: Who

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Really nice guitar… But I promise you it is a 1975.

I own a deluxe that falls into the same category…

Is there anything else not original besides the pick up covers that you did not disclose?

I will also want cavity shots & the back of the pick ups…

I would say late 75 at the earliest, possibly even 76. Late 75 / early 76 is when they started phasing in the maple necks. And Kalamazoo was known to continue using the old 6 digit format on some customs through 1979, while Nashville went to the new transitional serial number system pretty much immediately in 76. Then they phased in the 8 digit serial numbers in 77 where the first and fifth digits are the year it was made. But again, if it was made in Kalamazoo, it would have still had the old 6 digit serial until 79. Not all Kalamazoo models continued with the old serials though. If the pot dates are end of 74, no way was the guitar completed in 74. It takes time for the pots to go to a bin at the factory where they are made, get an order in from a company like Gibson, pack them up, ship them, make it to Gibson, go through the receiving area, go into inventory, make it to a bin, get on a guitar, and then the guitar to finally be completed. At the earliest, the guitar is about 3+ months newer than the pots. Sometimes it is more than a year or longer. With the guitar having a maple neck, it definitely has to be end of 75 / early 76.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
@blee57 I am interested, when you find the time to take the strings off for gut shots etc, let me know.

Where are you located?

@JimmyAce2006 pretty much nails it...perfect example here of the time lapse....that body was routed in late 1974 (square channel still but it has moved almost all the way up), that neck was put on in 1975.

I have seen (verified by pot dates) maple necks as early as April/May 75.

I also have a KM made 1975 Deluxe (by the pot dates), that has 100% 1974 features, including the Hog neck.....it just happens.

I don't think 76 on this at all, though.....

Last edited:

hackenfort

Reaction score
late 74 IMO ABR not Tune-O-Matic - maple neck, but 75 style tuners, but who knows Gibson did some funky stuff in the 70's depending what was sitting around

Overall looks like a nice guitar

Truth011

Reaction score
That is a nice custom! December 74 pots and a maple neck my guess is 1st quarter to mid 75. 75 was one of those crazy transitional years at Gibson. GLWS

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Nothing gets sketchy with Customs in 1974..........the real change over begins after the beginning of the year.

the gold decals actually started in 1975.

There were both pat. sticker AND pat. number base plates in 1974/75.

T-top bobbins were through all this time, so you can not go by that.

Reflectors phased in 1975.

Maple neck phased in by early Spring 1975 (find me a real 1974 with a maple neck?)

Everything points very clearly to 1975.

Those pots were made at CTS during the 50th week of the year, at BEST.....based on the pot codes is the very reason there is no way they were in a Gibson factory in 1974.

This is exactly why it takes multiple points to identify these guitars....it is a nice piece.
I appreciate you taking the time for the pics.

Last edited:

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Clearly a 75, even late one. Interesting is, that they used again for a short while a 98xxxx or higher 9xxxxx serials. So 9xxxxx serials were only used in 70/early 71 and then for a short time in late 75.

Latest Threads