1973 Deluxe? I don't think so.

msalama

Reaction score
Seller claims '73, serial checker says '79 (ser. 72569536), and unless I've misunderstood, tuners say late-70-something. Thoughts?

GlideOn

Reaction score
Either way there's no doubt it's a Norlin era - 3 piece maple neck, extra volute, 3 piece top. I would too trust that the serial dictates the date over the hardware as they could have been years-old leftover factory parts or installed, re-installed God knows how many times over a 50 year period.

It looks like it will need a complete refret and board leveling, but if it is intact it's still a pretty good price all things considered

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Reverb's dating article, it is indeed a '79.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
that is a 1979 serial number...to match the 1979 Deluxe it goes with.

Case is for a 1973 though....maybe that's what he means?

looks like the pups have been changed.

IMO Price is stupid...here in the states, it is not even in the $4K plus shipping ballpark......
but people keep wishing.

:slap:

Last edited:

msalama

Reaction score
maybe that's what he means?

I don't think so. The listing says "Gibson Les Paul Deluxe 1973 Cherry Sunburst", so he's clearly referring to the guitar itself. A swindler, or someone genuinely mistaken? I'm personally giving him the benefit of the doubt and assume the latter, but the description is still incorrect even if there's nothing fraudulent going on.

IMO Price is stupid

Well, the guy's EU, and these fiddles are more expensive over here.

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I was being sarcastic when I said that....maybe I should have put one of those laughing/rolling things? it might also be a language barrier or no tonal inflection/reading thing, no stress.

it IS a 1979 Les Paul deluxe with change pickups, but it is in a case for 73....
it is 100% NOT a 1973 Les Paul Deluxe....there is no confusion about that.

Regardless of where he is selling, his price is in USD, and he will ship internationally, so my thoughts on price are valid....and correct, it is not close to being worth $4k.

Last edited:

msalama

Reaction score
No, it's just that sarcasm doesn't really transfer over the Internet without smilies and such ;) And the Reverb prices you see are of course USD, whereas mine are Euro and I never checked whether he ships internationally. But yeah, since he does your opinion is indeed valid...

msalama

Reaction score
OK, I contacted the guy and he apologized and changed the description, it was just an honest mistake. So it's now correctly listed as a '79.

E.T.

Reaction score
..it is not close to being worth $4k.
Yup. Sooner or later one would assume people will go back to listing gear in Normal Person Dollars..

I have a "standard candle" search which consistently shows ~10% of listings price dropped by 10-15% at present, but 80%+ of sellers are still hanging around with their metaphorical proverbials out hoping someone will grab hold.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lot of honest wear, played but not abused.

Can't say I dig the divots in the fretboard on the first three or four frets.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
look at the color of the surrounds compared to the pick guard....to my knowledge Gibson has never put out "white" surrounds.
bnhwvp3flez3swcongsz.jpg

msalama

Reaction score
Yeah, the pickguard and the surrounds are coloured identically on mine and they're definitely not white. I see...

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
now someone could have just changed the surrounds, but that is HIGHLY unlikely.......If I had to bet, I would say aftermarket pups.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of the burst on the back…

79 lester is cool…too pricey imho

-chris

Latest Threads