1972 Super Lead, The Restoration

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Blurry front photo only and no description.

I'm always telling people to leave those alone and here I went and did it myself, again.

Here's hoping I don't get a box of broken 1980's video game parts!

You guys are guaranteed some entertainment, at least. :thumb:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I don't know James.......I sort of see you as a 'Pickup Professor'. You could simply wear the tweed (with the obligatory elbow patches of course)
I do have a tweed briefcase. ...made by Fender, actually. It's lined with red velvet and fitted with an insert I made to hold several sets of humbuckers on display. :)

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Seems like the store that sold the Super Lead is trying to pull some BS, now.

They are telling me someone else paid for it before I did and that that person is coming in to "play it and check it out" tomorrow. Funny, I pulled the trigger, paid in full, and for overnight shipping. No need for me to check it out. Just ship the thing!

Guess we'll see what happens. I can't really make them do anything from two states away.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Well, it's back on! They've called to say it's on the way and the other guy backed out. It's like a roller coaster of ups and downs, already. I told you it'd be entertaining, at least!

...I also got photos of the back. All original iron, Daly filter caps, and no holes drilled. Huge sigh of relief.

Let's hope it arrives in one piece and it's not full of dead squirrels and birds, inside.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score

At the sight of this and feeling it was loose inside, I was a bit concerned. Especially, considering most amps shipped here have suffered damage from poor owner packing.

Fortunately, it was actually double boxed! This is only the 2nd out of 7 used amps / speakers I've had shipped that didn't suffer damage in shipping.

I'm not quite settled up with the seller yet, though. It's a pleasant going discussion and I think we've come to terms but I haven't actually received the agreed upon refund quite yet. So, I feel that it's only respectful of me to not get too deep into the details of what's wrong with it until that's all 100% final. Maybe that's overly courteous and unnecessary, but I'd rather err on the side of respectful, just in case.

Sorry for the tease, but you can at least see it is safely here, now! I'm sure it won't be long. Parts are already on the way, in the meantime.

Deftone

Reaction score
Hope it works out ok. I've had good luck lately with sellers agreeing to a partial refund for shipping damage.

in the meantime....congrats! Vintage Marshall.....that's a beautiful sight.

LP1865

Reaction score
I do have a tweed briefcase. ...made by Fender, actually. It's lined with red velvet and fitted with an insert I made to hold several sets of humbuckers on display. :)
Custom made or purchasable?
Wanna see it

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like mine (full stack) that I bought in the mid '70s and sold in the mid '80s!

There isn't an MV on the back by any chance is there? :laugh2:

Congrats and HNMAD! :applause: :rock: :dude: :headbanger:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Looks like mine (full stack) that I bought in the mid '70s and sold in the mid '80s!

There isn't an MV on the back by any chance is there? :laugh2:

Congrats and HNMAD! :applause: :rock: :dude: :headbanger:

No MV on the back, that knob is just a replacement impedance selector. I got an original - that "pin plug with a window and socket" type - to put it back to stock.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Thank you for your patience. The seller and I have settled. It's mine, now, officially. Let the images and info flow!

The first thing that got me when I opened it, was this. "Master / Pre"
That was not in the photo, nor mentioned in any conversation leading up to my receiving it. Now, I spoke to a store manager, not a player or tech so... a little leeway, but not too much. Mods are kinda important to mention on vintage gear, ya know?

Here's the second thing that caught my eye. "SB/A" is NOT a Super Lead serial prefix. It's a Super Bass serial prefix. Though, as a Page and Kossoff fan, I'm completely fine with a Super Bass, and as a technical guy I know it's only a difference of a couple parts inside, as a paying buyer the prices are not the same. I was admittedly getting a little annoyed....

...BUT, turns out I was wrong-ish.

This actually is original and legit. I've seen it before, before I bought this amp, as well as the other way around with a "Bass" decal over the "Lead" plate. It looks shady, but it's not. It was actually reassuring. Looks like the "Patent Applied For" typeface, as well. :)

Got the correct "1959" badge for a Super Lead on the cab, too. ...with a super classy drywall screw!

Ooooo kay. Let's get to seeing what's up inside.

Always hoping for Mullards, but always receiving EH to GT tubes.

Original Daly and Erie filter caps.

Is that a 73 date on that one?

Bass sign-off sheet.

With some extra dates above it.

Ok, weird but, again, I have seen this before around this time. I think Marshall offered free service on their amps for the first year and so maybe produced in 1972 but serviced in 73 and 74, which could have fallen into the range of first 365 days after purchase? Huh. Why service a new amp, though? It is mysterious.

Let's go inside......

Latest Threads