1972 les paul custom restoration help

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
Hi, I got a 1972 gibson les paul custom in black...at least the previous owner painted it black with a paint brush. Th guitar is in serious need of a restoration, the previous owner sanded the shit out of the top...rounded of the edge of the binding on top..sanded chunks into the binding in other spots and even went through the multi ply part of the binding in one corner...I have a couple of questions:
1. Should I leave it beat up as is to keep whatever value it has left or should I restore it?
2. If I restore....what is the thickness of the binding? does the multiple plies run through or is it shallower than the edge binding? if so how thick and where can I buy it, (the ones on stewart mac dont look right)
3. there are some dips sanded into the neck and body...I dont want to use bondo or any kind of filler...can I maybe glue a piece of veneer to build it up then sand it down? any suggestions?
4. I know to some it may not seem worth it but I really would like to save this guitar, It has the old vintage paper and oil capacitors, the witch hat knobs and it has a long neck tenon (it actually ends where the pickups cavity begins instead of that last tiny little step that the old 59s had). Its the oldest guitar I have and the closest Ill ever be to owning a vintage les paul.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pics would be critical at this point.

The binding is a two step process, and pics will determine whether it can be restored.

The tenon is not a long tenon, it's the medium tenon.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
aka trans tenon or modified long tenon.

If you aren't quite competent with this type of work, I'd suggest sending it to a shop for the repairs. This guitar shouldn't be in the first project class.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
I work for a piano manufacturer..ive built les pauls from scratch..i just need to know things like dimensions and period correct materials. definitely not a "first " project for me

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
as i only have standards as references. I own one more black custom but its an 89..much different.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
i need to know where i can acquire the correct multi ply binding as well as the height/thickness of the outer binding

single cut 54

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i need to know where i can acquire the correct multi ply binding as well as the height/thickness of the outer binding

Try Axiom Inc. for multiply celluloid binding . Luthier Mercantile Int. and Int. Luthier Supply both carry
multiply binding but i'm pretty sure it's ABS plastic.

Latest Threads