1971 LES PAUL FRETLESS WONDER

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
I had a LP CUSTOM, fretless wonder, purchased in 1971..$592 @ Silver & Horlan in lower Manhattan, NYC...that guitar was stolen around 79 in Fayetteville, NC, the guitar was recovered by police at a local pawn shop….but the serial #s were completely scratched out down to bare wood. All things considered, it was the wrong guitar....dark and heavy sounding….and the frets were not conducive for what i was evolving into as a player…. i eventually I traded the guitar in ridiculously for a worthless guitar at a Seattle guitar shop in early 80s..i just could not cope with the theft and the serial #s…even years later….Since then i have played strats and finally kept a Don Grosh retro..which i love…I wonder who has that guitar now…the serial numbers were gouged out....In JULY 2020. I purchased an R8 from lance @ WILDWOOD..In all ways, I found this guitar stunningly superior to the LP CUSTOM..Sorry for the rant..It still upsets me…i have a large gun safe now..when i leave the premises..all guitars are locked up no exceptions. i just wonder where it is.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Any old pics of the guitar? Might help with your curiosity. It will likely be hard to track down but you never know.

I had a 77 Deluxe. And while it was a nice guitar, it didn't compare much to the current Gibson custom shop offerings. I sold it and ended up funding the purchase of a Navigator standard LP and Greco custom LP and a Greco strat copy. Those are all MIJ guitars but the were built like vintage LPs / Strats. All of them are lighter, more resonate and have better neck profiles than the 77. I have recently seen prices go even higher for the 70s LPs and kind of wonder if I should have kept it as an investment. However, I would probably not be enjoying my hobby as much if I had gone that way. It sounds like you might be going along a similar thought process. I would just enjoy the R8 and be happy that you still have passion and enjoyment for playing guitar. That being said, I would like to see the guitar if someone thinks they have it.

LPPILOT

Reaction score
I can Understand the op’s feelings . I got a nearly new 68 got back then and if it was stolen , raped and pillaged I’d been messed up , specially being so young . I was lucky it was never lifted all those years . It was a gift from my parents , all my friends memories return as I hold it .

I have several wonderful reissues I play everyday . But the vintage guitars I ve owned so long just take me back 40 years ago to a different time as I play ..

That feeling is priceless

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had this ‘78 Custom since I purchased it in 1980..... it has spent a number of years being gigged thru the eighties in some shady places... and some great memories. I would be devastated to lose it.

5B8295E2-4F85-47D1-A5FB-DC07AAEECF30.jpeg

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
I have no pictures of the aforementioned...LES PAUL CUSTOM.....fretless wonder......the eradication of the serial numbers on the back of the headstock would be the only identifier.....if i were to handle the guitar..maybe something else might come to mind....the saddles were the white plastic ones.

Rozman62

Reaction score
Also had a 71 fretless wonder. Well at least I think it was a 71. Bought it in the early 80's for $425. What a guitar. I sold it off in 84 with total regret since. I've had 12 LP's and that one tops them all. I was young and didn't even think of writing down the SN. I don't even have a picture, only just great memories. I sold it with a 68 plexi...WTF. Your post reminded me of what I once had.. I often also wonder who has this guitar now. Whoever has it has something special.

Latest Threads