1971 Les Paul Deluxe Investment?

Meclazine2

Reaction score
I would go for a '68 Les Paul Standard instead. Or a 50's Jr.

And that is not 100% original. It has two casings around the mini-buckers. So it has been restored most likely after humbuckers were put in it. Routed etc. It may have just had the P-90's ripped out.

Just because it is listed as "100% original" on REVERB, don't take that as gospel.

See below. Notice the space for each pickup style. These are 100% original investment grade '70s Deluxes. The '73 is near mint condition.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
it seems anything i decide to buy starts to increase when i am ready to pull the trigger so i am always too late to make a buck....FB's have increased noticeably in the last year or two, i can tell you that

but as Norm Harris said..." you didnt pay too much, you just bought it too early"....

i like that :h5:

buy em play em and see how the market is when you wanna get rid of it....

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
p90 and mini rout is the same. Something else went on to qualify them for a goof. There were goof rings for tailpiece studs too.
I wonder what that was, then? Dull bits, or sloppy control for the routers?

Never heard of or saw goofrings for studs ... interesting. Thanks, off to google-fu ...

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
First page returns this. Couple of other pics, other models, too:

Thanks for the impetus, bud.

Wonder why those would be added?

Crafty Fox

Reaction score
In fact they started to appear very sporadically in very late 69.
My first Gibson was a '69 Les Paul GT with goof rings, and as far as I recall a one piece body, not a sandwich. Neck had large headstock with volute. I thought it may have been an earlier left-over body with 60's neck.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
MAYBE they were thought to add some "custom/hot-rodded" flash? I have removed a few myself...with NO goofs to be found!!
Could they have been a bumper instead of a goof hider?

Maybe some well meaning engineer wanted to protect the finish from cracking under the metal tailpiece as the new owner (or even the assembly worker screwing the studs in with an air gun), screwed the TP into the deck.

:dunno:

you let the tone out when you did that....that was the purpose.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Latest Threads