1971 Les Paul deluxe gold top

72lespaul

Reaction score
I have one of these, 9/10 condition, chainsaw case.. All original. Have seen asking prices for guitars around 7K which 90% don’t look as good as mine. What’s a realistic selling price? Thanks

Dilver

Reaction score
Guitar prices are crazy right now. Best thing to do is look at sold prices on EBay, prices at online guitar shops, and if you’re serious about selling it, price lower than the avg price. I have a 72 Deluxe in Cherry Sunburst. its certainly not mint, but it’s in excellent condition. I was offered $3,000 for it about 4 years ago and I thought that was a LOT (I couldn’t part with it). Now that the world is ending and guitar prices are crazy, I’d guess it would go anywhere between $3,000-5,000. A gold top a bit more. But probably not higher than $7,000.

msalama

Reaction score
What’s a realistic selling price?
If you want to get top money, sell it to one of us EU plebs since vintage-ish guitars tend to be more expensive over here. I'd made you an offer for it, but unfortunately cannot since I'm kinda completely brassic ATM.

Reactions: Who

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without detail pics.....$1

Detail control cavity shots and under the pups are needed for any real guesstimate amigo.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
agreed......post all the detailed pics you can if you want a real appraisal.

7K is a joke for a 71 GT...... you can buy a 68/9 for that money, maybe a tick more.

Most people that say that have a 70/71 actually don't......there are a LOT of people out there trying to pass off 73-74-early 75 as 70/71 because the identification is so hard to tell if you do not really know (most don't).

If the case is original to the guitar, you are probably one of them (even if unknowingly).

If you truly want the market value....put it up in a no-reserve auction and wait....you will find out, 100% what the market is.

of course the market here in the US and there in China will be completely different.

@Dilver is about right on the money....that offer given him was high back then (he should have taken it), and today it is about right at 3k-3.5k or so...I added the extra 500 if his has the engraved covers that 72's have....if not, then 3k is about the number.

Did I say 7K was a JOKE??

Asking prices are not selling prices.

you do know that you can go to ebay or reverb and look at SELLING prices?

Last edited:

Dilver

Reaction score
agreed......post all the detailed pics you can if you want a real appraisal.

7K is a joke for a 71 GT...... you can buy a 68/9 for that money, maybe a tick more.

Most people that say that have a 70/71 actually don't......there are a LOT of people out there trying to pass off 73-74-early 75 as 70/71 because the identification is so hard to tell if you do not really know (most don't).

If the case is original to the guitar, you are probably one of them (even if unknowingly).

If you truly want the market value....put it up in a no-reserve auction and wait....you will find out, 100% what the market is.

of course the market here in the US and there in China will be completely different.

@Dilver is about right on the money....that offer given him was high back then (he should have taken it), and today it is about right at 3k-3.5k or so...I added the extra 500 if his has the engraved covers that 72's have....if not, then 3k is about the number.

Did I say 7K was a JOKE??

Asking prices are not selling prices.

you do know that you can go to ebay or reverb and look at SELLING prices?
Well, while I’d love to see the OP’s Deluxe, I can at least confirm that I really do own a 72 Deluxe, engraved covers and all (I’ve posted it on this forum before). It will be 50 years old next year - can’t believe it. I bought it used with money I earned working jobs after school and weekends when I was 13. And while I do look back on that $3,000 offer and think maybe I should have taken it, I have lots of memories playing gigs with this guitar in my youth, so it’s worth more to me than the money. My Deluxe is a good guitar, but I do find it amusing that Gibson just released a 70s Deluxe reissue. It’s not even built right and the color should be clownier (mine has faded a bit over the years). No one really wanted these until a few years ago, and many people like Mike Ness have famously thrown out the mini humbuckers and replaced them with P90s. I tried this once and the Gibson P90s didn’t sound as good as the stock minis, so I switched it back. If I were gigging with this guitar, I’d probably stick a set of Wolfetone Mean / Meaner 90s in it, as I’ve become a P90 convert.
3A0AB731-22B6-485B-9550-C57715D248E4.jpeg
55AD4B8E-5B1D-4EFB-8618-A2EAE58BA009.jpeg
A5BC7673-FC1E-4C20-9F4D-D019C44F766E.jpeg

Last edited:

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Can you post pic, please?
Yeah, '71 and chainsaw cases go together like Beer and Strawberry icecream :yesway:

...no pics, no '71.
Without detail pics.....$1

Detail control cavity shots and under the pups are needed for any real guesstimate amigo.

He didn't ask for the forum police to question the legitemacy of his guitar, he just wants to hear market value. You all know what a 71 deluxe looks like right? It is 100% original and near mint, there is hardly any signs of playwear, hence 9/10 condition. Non-original case. What you need pics for? With what he told you, those that know the market can give him a pretty accurate number.

Maybe after answering his question, you could say something like "but are you sure it's a 71? Those years are hard to date"

grumphh

Reaction score
He didn't ask for the forum police to question the legitemacy of his guitar, he just wants to hear market value. You all know what a 71 deluxe looks like right? It is 100% original and near mint, there is hardly any signs of playwear, hence 9/10 condition. Non-original case. What you need pics for? With what he told you, those that know the market can give him a pretty accurate number.

Maybe after answering his question, you could say something like "but are you sure it's a 71? Those years are hard to date"
That is exactly how i ALWAYS buy guitars.
I read the sellers text and if he says that it is 9/10 and from a certain desirable year, i buy it without needing to see pictures.

And of course iam totally hooked when i find out that someone actually bothered to exchange the shoddy original case for a later, and much better one, this tells me the previous owner really cared about his vintage instrument :yesway:

The seller is always right of course...

...oh wait, the OP just wants to know the approximate selling price of a vintage guitar?
SHOW ME THE GUITAR IN QUESTION.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

The potential of using my estimate to cheat an unknowing buyer bothers me.

If that bothers you I really don’t care.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Try 6000$, local sale first. You can always go lower.
I can't imagine a place like Beijing not having some potential buyers.
Keep in mind for EU and US etc. we pay taxes and import duties, so we normally want to pay less for such a guitar.
Also make sure to post pictures of all pot code so people won't accuse you of fraudulent intentions.

If you have prior experience with Reverb (and ideally some user feedback) that is also a good place ofcourse.

72lespaul

Reaction score
Man, that's a pretty Deluxe. My '73 looks good as well, but yours is really pristine.
You are th

thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. You are the only one who actually read the question. I am 100% sure that it is what I said it is. i have checked all the pots etc etc. It was bought from Rudy’s in NYC 25 years ago By a Singaporean collector who raided NYC And had a fantastic collection. I bought it from that guy 20 years ago. I met Rudy and showed him the guitar which he remembered because of the chainsaw case. It was formerly owned by a touring pro but since all Rudy’s records went up in smoke, no further detail available. So again, guys, presuming it it is what I say, what do you think it’s really worth?

72lespaul

Reaction score
Try 6000$, local sale first. You can always go lower.
I can't imagine a place like Beijing not having some potential buyers.
Keep in mind for EU and US etc. we pay taxes and import duties, so we normally want to pay less for such a guitar.
Also make sure to post pictures of all pot code so people won't accuse you of fraudulent intentions.

If you have prior experience with Reverb (and ideally some user feedback) that is also a good place ofcourse.
Thank you. Yes, I know the drill and agree

Latest Threads