1971 (?) Custom identifying/price advice

RokkaRolla

Reaction score
Dear friends!

Just got offered this Custom, and I really like it, but I am in doubts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37641987@N05/sets/72157666005373595/with/25194791244/

Could the declared year be correct? Isn’t it a strange color for 1970-73? Looks like refinish?

Unfortunately, I can’t provide pot numbers at the moment. But the owner says the pickups and possibly pots are not original anyway. As you can see a hole from a switch repaired, tuners and frets are not original too.

Asking price - $2700. Does the guitar worth it?

Thank you so much!

chasenblues

Reaction score
You also may want to ask what other type of work was done on the fret board,The binding is planed down low..

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Looks like a refin.

Id buy it because I really like the color, I like worn guitars, I like the jumbo frets and I like the price ( for europe it's decent). For you it might be a different story

horand

Reaction score
My guess is that the guitar is not a refine, and that it is a 75´, with a lot of mods. Price seems a bit high under those circumstances but if you like it and will keep it, the price might not be as important to you, I guess.

69 Goldtop

Reaction score
My guess is a 1971-72 cherry custom ...original finish.

RokkaRolla

Reaction score
My guess is a 1971-72 cherry custom ...original finish.
The finish looks authentic and old, but I haven't seen many cherry Customs of that years around. Actually not a single on Ebay these days...

chasenblues

Reaction score
I'm just pointing this out as something for you to consider.

Is there anyway you can physically inspect the guitar before you buy?

Look at the side dots in this pic of the neck, Notice how uneven the binding has been sanded/planed from the 12 fret back towards the neck pickup?

I would wonder if there could be any high/low spots in the finger board itself.
I'd have no issues with a refret or a used instrument with play wear etc, But what if the work that was done during the refret wasn't done all that well.

RokkaRolla

Reaction score
I'm just pointing this out as something for you to consider.

Is there anyway you can physically inspect the guitar before you buy?

Look at the side dots in this pic of the neck, Notice how uneven the binding has been sanded/planed from the 12 fret back towards the neck pickup?

I would wonder if there could be any high/low spots in the finger board itself.
I'd have no issues with a refret or a used instrument with play wear etc, But what if the work that was done during the refret wasn't done all that
Thank you very much, chasenblues!
I will be able to inspect the guitar. Frankly, I haven't notice that issue before you've paid attention to it. I really appreciate it!

pgeddes

Reaction score
It looks to me like there is red paint on the binding. Could be bleed i guess, but the color looks a little funny too.

Left Paw

Reaction score
Hope you like jumbo frets. Those things look the size of railroad crossties.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Good thing is that its really a 71 Custom (same sized 2nd and 3rd inlay, smaller 60s diamond on headstock, 61xxxx serial etc.).

But bad things are nearly everything else. The price is very high for such refinished, heavily modded guitar. I would definitely stay away. :hmm:

grumphh

Reaction score
One thing that is not period correct is the binding in the cutaway, as it is uniformly thin and shows the maple cap.
A norlin from that period is to the best of my knowledge supposed to have thick binding that covers all of the maple in the cutaway.

Did the fabled custom reissues have the thin binding perhaps?

Progrocker111

Reaction score
One thing that is not period correct is the binding in the cutaway, as it is uniformly thin and shows the maple cap.
A norlin from that period is to the best of my knowledge supposed to have thick binding that covers all of the maple in the cutaway.
No, all 68 - mid 75 Les Paul Customs still have thin binding.

RokkaRolla

Reaction score
Good thing is that its really a 71 Custom (same sized 2nd and 3rd inlay, smaller 60s diamond on headstock, 61xxxx serial etc.).

But bad things are nearly everything else. The price is very high for such refinished, heavily modded guitar. I would definitely stay away. :hmm:
Thanks, Progrocker111. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Latest Threads