1970's T-top Vs. New Seymour Duncan Antiquity Bridge

70's T-top or Seymour Duncan Antiquity

• Total voters

LedHead

Reaction score
I Have a 1979 gibson "the sg" with a non original dimarzio pickup in the bridge, and i was wondering which pickup would give me a classic jimmy page tone, i am aware that in 72 he had a t-top put in his les paul, but im curious about the similaritys in the tonal characteristics of the t-top and the antiquity, because if they sound similar then i would rather put the antiquity in and spare myself the 70's t-top price.

LtKojak

Reaction score
I Have a 1979 gibson "the sg" with a non original dimarzio pickup in the bridge, and i was wondering which pickup would give me a classic jimmy page tone, i am aware that in 72 he had a t-top put in his les paul, but im curious about the similaritys in the tonal characteristics of the t-top and the antiquity, because if they sound similar then i would rather put the antiquity in and spare myself the 70's t-top price.

The Ant doesn't sound very Page-y-like... the bridge p'up to nail that tone the closest is the Seth Lover bridge with an UnOriented AlNiCo 5 magnet in it.

I've tried many p'up/mag combos to arrive at the final result which went into a '59 'burst replica for a Zeppelin Tribute band. With a Seth Lover set and the UOA5 mags the guy was able to nail Zepp's 2nd album tone in spades. And the best was the tone was there WITHOUT the wimp T-Top bridge p'ups are known for.

HTH,

LedHead

Reaction score
and do the seth lover models come with unoriented alnico 5s or do u have to have that done?

LedHead

Reaction score
im just going for the classic 70s tone and pages tone is closest to what im going for

LtKojak

Reaction score
and do the seth lover models come with unoriented alnico 5s or do u have to have that done?

No, UOA5 is NOT a stock magnet at Duncan.

I do all the swaps myself. You only need a two-digit IQ to do it. And oppossable thumbs! ;)

Latest Threads