1970s Japanese "Nitro"?

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, did you test the finish somewhere with acetone?
I did, just a really short touch, nothing happened.
Im about to do some soldering on the electronics, I could maybe just put a drop of acetone somewhere in the cavity and leave it, to see what happens.

As you may rememeber from my other thread, I'm currently cleaning that red Fernandes strat from 1982, im using acetone to clean it and nothing happened to the poly, but interesting enough, there is some small spots in the neckpocket that have the red base coats but not the the poly top coat(?), and the acetone disolved the red paint right away.

Has anyone here ever tried to sun fade an old Tokai, Greco, or any of the other older MIJ's that claimed to have nitro? I'm wondering if it's possible.
Isn't fading about the color compounds used, and not about the lacquer? Or with fading do you mean to yellow the topcoats?

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Just after starting this thread I realised something, and it's probably the answer to my question.
The logs never said "nitro"...!
They say "Lacquer", and ofcourse this is often a synonym for nitro when talking about guitars, but doesnt mean it should have nitrocellulose lacquer perse.

GBLEV

Reaction score
Isn't fading about the color compounds used, and not about the lacquer? Or with fading do you mean to yellow the topcoats?
Hmm... that's a good question. I guess I'm just thinking about all of the finish fading in the sun. I'm in Florida, and no matter what you leave outside, if it's out there long enough, it will fade. I wouldn't leave a guitar out in the sun too long at any given time. Maybe a couple hours a day?

So I'm just wondering how easy it would be to fade an MIJ since I've read that these guitars don't fade like those with aniline dye and pure nitro. I guess I'd be a little concerned about a laminate veneer top shrinking before it would fade enough?

I don't have any plans of doing this at the moment, but I have seen some nice MIJ guitars I liked apart from their clown burst. If I knew I could fade a clown burst in the sun it might make some guitars more appealing.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I guess if you put it out long enough it will fade to some degree, but I doubt it will do the rest of the guitar any good. Those clownbursts are often based on the 70's Gibsons or late 60's Fenders, those dont really fade either.

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
I had an 80s Tokai refinished by my tech a few years ago and he said the original finish wasn't traditional nitro or poly but some kind of older automotive lacquer.

Reaction score
Why doesn’t a guitar with a poly finish get checking/crazing? (I mean, outside of extreme weather situations.)

I’ve read suggestions of poly finishes with a nitro topcoat (which could account for chemical reactions). I think the suggestion of automotive finishing is interesting. Using commonly available materials seemed the norm.

Were manufacturers considering the affect of a finish on resonance/tone, or was the spec improvement to nitro simply based on improving the quality of feel/touch?

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
Were manufacturers considering the affect of a finish on resonance/tone, or was the spec improvement to nitro simply based on improving the quality of feel/touch?
Back in the old days, Gibson simply used nitro because that's what was available at the time. People associated that look and feel with quality and began to demand it of nicer instruments, even though it's probably an incidental factor. Personally, I don't put much stock into the marketing that Gibson uses now about how nitro lets the instrument "breathe" or whatever. I don't much like thick poly finishes that feel like candy coating, but beyond that I'm not concerned with what my guitar's finish is made of.

Latest Threads