1970's Fender Music Man

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
This just popped up by me

for $400. Never played one before. How do they sound. And what is a good price for them.

TeaForTwo

The Guitar Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks mint. From what I know the price is very good.
The players I've met who own them love them. Part SS part Tube.

I'm sure more knowledgeable will have better assistance and info for you.

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
whats the sound generally like on this? Super clean,mildly clean, dirty, or super sonic dirty. I cant find anything about these on youtube. Granted I looked for like 2 minutes

TeaForTwo

The Guitar Whisperer
Reaction score
whats the sound generally like on this? Super clean,mildly clean, dirty, or super sonic dirty. I cant find anything about these on youtube. Granted I looked for like 2 minutes
The players I know use them for great cleans to usable dirty. I haven't plugged into one in years. The design is very good and solid. They all say they won't sell theirs, and these are all semi pro players and/or retired semi pros. I don't remember if it's tube pre amp into SS or SS pre into tube power section.
I think it's SS pre into tube power. As I mentioned, they really love them.
I would have used them myself back in the 70s/80s but being young the name "Music Man" didn't sound cool to me :hmm:....This is the best I can recall. They came in a variety of combos as well. I recall the sound being "nice and tight."

copperheadroad

Reaction score
The later HD's had power tubes & a solid state preamp ,that was quite unplesant when using the gain.
But these amps has very lush cleans with a mile high headroom
I used to own a 212 130 hd

Duane24

Reaction score
Johnny winter uses nothing else, I think he knows a thing or two about guitar playing.

if6was9

Reaction score
Johnny winter uses nothing else, I think he knows a thing or two about guitar playing.
I have seen Johnny Winter several times in concert over the years and each time he was using a Music Man combo amp.

Duane24

Reaction score
I have seen Johnny Winter several times in concert over the years and each time he was using a Music Man combo amp.
Yea, he uses combos, but I believe these are all fairly similar, I played a couple, can't remember the type, and its been too long for me to state an opinion, I don't recall hating them, I know that, one was a head, the other a 2x10 combo, faceplate to the combo looked a lot like this one, it wasn't bad

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been using mine since I bought it new in 79. It's an amazing amp. Solid state preamp and tube amp. I have the 212-65w combo. It's a great amp and I'll never sell it. It's a workhorse. Never let me down and took a lot of abuse on the road.

It's one of the best amps for slide EVER..clean, crunchy with a ton of overhead. It takes pedals really well but as mentioned. It's not a great amp for high-gain stuff. It's LOUD though...that's why I use a baffle. It can rip heads off in the front row. haha.

They are very underrated amps. It's crazy that they come up so cheap....but that won't be the case forever. I'd buy that in a New York minute. I have been looking for an extention cab for mine.

So here's a few other MusicMan users..

I like these 2 shots...Eric and I, enjoying the magic of a MusicMan and Explorer combined.

and no....I no longer leave my water glasses on my rack...haha. Not a good idea. See the Paul in the background?

toneguy86

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those HDs were rock solid and had a great clean sound with tons of headroom. The ones I played all had a SS preamp and a tube power section. Later RD models had a master volume, but the overdrive was not good. I have owned several and loved them really--even with these quirks. I'd buy another one if I could find it. The last one I had I only paid $200 for (but that was a few years ago). Was astounding with pedals--much better than my silverface Fenders. I know they are all worth more now. People see the value and are buying em up. From what I can tell $400 for an amp in that good a shape is a good deal. Buy it.

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
It sold before I even had a chance to go and check it out...and the lady had 4 of these heads

Smedley Smorganoff

Reaction score
Evidently, a lot of rockers used them. Joe Perry and Brad Whitford both used Music Man HD130 stacks during the "Draw The Line" tour. Kim Thayil used an HD-130 during Soundgarden's early days before Superunknown. Eddie Hazel used an HD-130 during 70's Funkadelic and on his solo album. Mick Ronson used one during his tenure with Ian Hunter. They were great amps.

I'm surprised not more Jazz players used them. They did the dark cleans very well.