1970? SG Standard

Emiel

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently got this SG Standard from a friend. The frets were nearly non-existent so I had it fitted with new Jescar 47104's. At one point it had the obvious neck crack. The guitar is completely original apart from the frets. Have to say it plays and sounds real nice now. The tremolo arm is missing, any tips on where to get one in Europe?

Any idea from what year it is? The logo has the closed o's and the dotted i. It has a small neck volute. Serial number is 922047. My limited knowledge (based on Google) says early 1970?

fernieite

Reaction score
Yeah, it's got the "Made in USA" and a volute, or is that a baby volute. Didn't prevent the headstock break I see... All of these features occurred in 1970, I believe.

You should also check the pot code dates.

Emiel

Reaction score
Thanks, the back of the pots seem corroded as it is hard to read the codes. Only the last two are visible, 52. That's the last weeks of the year I guess?

Last edited:

Emiel

Reaction score

Nice guitar! Played a 1969 once, could have got it cheap but the neck was not to my liking. I'd say 1970 based on the features mentioned above and also the logo with the closed square o.
Thanks for the link!

The neck is a weird one indeed. It is quite narrow at the nut but changes to a ‘normal’ neck profile around the fifth fret.

I will have to check whether the bridge needs to be replaced; the nylon saddles aren’t what they used to be.

Love the T-Tops, a bit more aggressive than your average PAF!

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Yeah the neck went from really small to really big, kinda weird and too big for my taste

Emiel

Reaction score
Update for those interested:

I've got a replacement Maestro 'sawtooth' tremolo arm from Crazyparts. It fits in beautifully and works just fine.

The ABR bridge has collapsed over the years so a Faber was bought to replace it. I didn't notice much difference in terms of sound but it improved the string action noticeably.

These small changes really turned the SG in a great playing and sounding guitar. It stays in tune remarkably well and I'm really loving the sound of the T-Top pickups.

The next/final thing is to clean the tuners and loosen them up a bit. Some are quite stiff but luckily there are tons of guides how to fix this.

Latest Threads