1970? SG Standard

Emiel

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently got this SG Standard from a friend. The frets were nearly non-existent so I had it fitted with new Jescar 47104's. At one point it had the obvious neck crack. The guitar is completely original apart from the frets. Have to say it plays and sounds real nice now. The tremolo arm is missing, any tips on where to get one in Europe?

Any idea from what year it is? The logo has the closed o's and the dotted i. It has a small neck volute. Serial number is 922047. My limited knowledge (based on Google) says early 1970?

fernieite

Reaction score
Yeah, it's got the "Made in USA" and a volute, or is that a baby volute. Didn't prevent the headstock break I see... All of these features occurred in 1970, I believe.

You should also check the pot code dates.

Emiel

Reaction score
Thanks, the back of the pots seem corroded as it is hard to read the codes. Only the last two are visible, 52. That's the last weeks of the year I guess?

Last edited:

Emiel

Reaction score

Nice guitar! Played a 1969 once, could have got it cheap but the neck was not to my liking. I'd say 1970 based on the features mentioned above and also the logo with the closed square o.
Thanks for the link!

The neck is a weird one indeed. It is quite narrow at the nut but changes to a ‘normal’ neck profile around the fifth fret.

I will have to check whether the bridge needs to be replaced; the nylon saddles aren’t what they used to be.

Love the T-Tops, a bit more aggressive than your average PAF!

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Yeah the neck went from really small to really big, kinda weird and too big for my taste

Emiel

Reaction score
Update for those interested:

I've got a replacement Maestro 'sawtooth' tremolo arm from Crazyparts. It fits in beautifully and works just fine.

The ABR bridge has collapsed over the years so a Faber was bought to replace it. I didn't notice much difference in terms of sound but it improved the string action noticeably.

These small changes really turned the SG in a great playing and sounding guitar. It stays in tune remarkably well and I'm really loving the sound of the T-Top pickups.

The next/final thing is to clean the tuners and loosen them up a bit. Some are quite stiff but luckily there are tons of guides how to fix this.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Beauty! I just picked up a near mint 1969 Standard myself.

Emiel

Reaction score
Cheers! I've had this guitar for over a year now and it's become a favourite. The thin neck (only at the nut that is) hasn't bother me a bit really, and the T-top pickups are something else. And it stays in tune just fine!

DaveSG

Reaction score
You know, I thought I'd be more bothered by the small/thin neck at the nut of my '71, but it hasn't really bugged me hardly at all, and I'm someone that prefers girthy necks. The neck is unique on these, from the vantage point of how it gets bigger. I've heard that some of these SGs of this era have monster necks (not width, but thicknes), but mine is a cool .80 or so at the 1st. It's just so well rounded I don't really notice.

I think a lot of times, the frets are beat on these guitars (both yours and mine included), and that makes the neck feel even smaller and can make playing harder. This thread is giving me some inspiration for getting my SG re-fretted. I need to plane out a small bit of unevenness in the board as well, so it really deserves it to make it a true player.

Lovely axe.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
The neck on my 69' seems quite fat for all the talk I hear about thin necks. What would a "thin" neck measure?

Emiel

Reaction score
You know, I thought I'd be more bothered by the small/thin neck at the nut of my '71, but it hasn't really bugged me hardly at all, and I'm someone that prefers girthy necks. The neck is unique on these, from the vantage point of how it gets bigger. I've heard that some of these SGs of this era have monster necks (not width, but thicknes), but mine is a cool .80 or so at the 1st. It's just so well rounded I don't really notice.

I think a lot of times, the frets are beat on these guitars (both yours and mine included), and that makes the neck feel even smaller and can make playing harder. This thread is giving me some inspiration for getting my SG re-fretted. I need to plane out a small bit of unevenness in the board as well, so it really deserves it to make it a true player.

Lovely axe.
Hi Dave,

Definitely get yours refretted! If I can give you some advice, don't go for jumbo's (the Dunlop 6100's) as that will make the first frets feel very cramped indeed. The Jescars 47104 are close to what came on them originally I think and they feel great.

The neck on my 69' seems quite fat for all the talk I hear about thin necks. What would a "thin" neck measure?
It's not the thickness but more the width on the first few frets. Mine is 40 mm or 1.57" on the first fret. From the 5th fret onwards it turns into a 'normal' neck.

I did some measurements on mine (using a ruler & eye sight):

1th fret:
Width: 40 mm/1.57"; thickness: 20 mm/0.80".

5th fret:
Width: 44 mm/1.73"; thickness: 23 mm/0.90".

12th fret:
Width: 50 mm/1.96"; thickness: 25 mm/0.98".

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
My 69' measures as follows;

1st Fret:
Width 1.6" Depth .91"

5th Fret:
Width 1.75" Depth 1.00"

12th Fret:
Width 1.98" Depth 1.10"

Emiel

Reaction score
My 69' measures as follows;

1st Fret:
Width 1.6" Depth .91"

5th Fret:
Width 1.75" Depth 1.00"

12th Fret:
Width 1.98" Depth 1.10"
Interesting how the width is very similar indeed, though yours is significantly fatter!

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Interesting how the width is very similar indeed, though yours is significantly fatter!
I think the differences just go to show how much more human touch was involved. Tolerances are much tighter today with all the precision machining involved...

Latest Threads