1970 SG Standard natural?

guitartsar

Reaction score
Hi i'm fairly new to the forum and I had this in the wrong section, I just bought this SG standard on Ebay Rare Vintage 1970 Gibson SG Standard Guitar | eBay Does anybody here have a similar finish one? Looks like natural like this Special Gibson 1970 SG Deluxe P90 1969 all original | eBay for sale on Ebay. I've not seen a Standard in this finish or is it just faded Walnut? You can see the serial number so it hasn't been stripped or refinished. Seller assures me it's not got any issues/breaks/repairs apart from what is obvious in the pictures (non orig pick ups, one pot non orig, Grovers, capacitors etc)

I've found some patent sticker t-tops for it and the orig machine heads come with the guitar. Looking forward to getting it back to original spec.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated, Graham.

1972 Gibson SG Standard walnut
1970 Gibson SG Standard (arriving soon!)
1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom white
1957 Gibson ES 125 sunburst
1972 Fender Telecaster Custom natural
1974 Fender Strat sunburst
1976 Fender Telecaster blonde

EvLectric

Reaction score
Probably just faded walnut, but I've heard of Red early 70's that have faded that much too. Got any pics under the guard?

Core

Reaction score
That's a killer guitar for a great price man. At first it looked like walnut to me that just faded or lost it's glossy finish. BUT upon further inspection it appears to be cherry in the control cavity so I would have to say the finish on the outside has just lost it's shine and turned to a brownish finish.

I had a 69 that did the same thing but not near as much. Inside it looked like walnut but outside it was clearly cherry but with more brown. Under the pickguard and cavities was definitely cherry.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The second llink, to the 'SG Deluxe' has a description that is all over the place. That guitar is an SG Special. The SG Deluxe had the revised features of block inlays from the first fret; short non-batwing, scratchplate, controls on a semi-circular plate and a Bigsby trem. The pots date in that SG Special show 1971, if they are original, which would indicate that this SG Special is one of the last to be made in '71 before the changeover of appointments.
(Ref: 'Guitar History Volume 2, Gibson SG' by John Bulli, published by The Bold Strummer Ltd.)

guitartsar

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. Hopefully it's as good as the seller has said. On the face of it it seems a very good deal! I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. I'll post some more detailed pics when it arrives. I may need some help/advice finding some missing bits like the Maestro trem arm.

guitartsar

Reaction score
Just noticed Monstronaut's avatar is the same colour as the guitar I bought.:dude:

Core

Reaction score
Pat Pickups can be found on ebay but be careful on years and only get 69 or earlier if possible. Look for metal bases some tarback pickups can be passed off as Pat's. Trem arms are hard to come by vintage but can be had new pretty easy on ebay as well. The new trem arms may be bent differently than vintage, at least that's what I notice on new SG's with maestro's.

fasteddycrstv

Reaction score
That's a killer guitar for a great price man. At first it looked like walnut to me that just faded or lost it's glossy finish. BUT upon further inspection it appears to be cherry in the control cavity so I would have to say the finish on the outside has just lost it's shine and turned to a brownish finish.

I had a 69 that did the same thing but not near as much. Inside it looked like walnut but outside it was clearly cherry but with more brown. Under the pickguard and cavities was definitely cherry.

Does it have the valute? If it doesen't, than it is not as killer as you may think it is!!!

J.T.

Reaction score
Wow. Not only did Sheriff Vasco not jump into the OP's shit for posting in the wrong section, but he's actually posted in here hisownself! :hmm: Hmmm, showing a little preferential treatment for a fellow Brit? :naughty:

"Vintage Les Pauls (SG), 1960-1963."

BTW, OP - nice SG!

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow. Not only did Sheriff Vasco not jump into the OP's shit for posting in the wrong section, but he's actually posted in here hisownself! :hmm: Hmmm, showing a little preferential treatment for a fellow Brit? :naughty:

"Vintage Les Pauls (SG), 1960-1963."

BTW, OP - nice SG!

Interesting. Alex must have updated this section. I am quite certain it originally was defined as being for Vintage SG's 1960 - 1969, which would make the OP only off by 1 year.

J.T.

Reaction score
No issue with the OP. He's got a cool guitar there. But Mr. Vasco has shit on a couple of my threads because they didn't meet "standards..." Just wondering if maybe he left the jackboots at his other computer. lol

Latest Threads