1969 Fender dripedge Princeton

J.T.

Reaction score
'69 Princeton - Silverface - Dripedge grill. Has AA964 (blackface) circuitry, screw in speaker baffle (can easily swap for one that mounts a 12" speaker). Loud, clean, sparkly, Fendery blackface tone. On/Off switch and volume control were replaced with poor substitutes, and I swapped those for the correct parts. Everything else is original, including the speaker. Speaker (Oxford) dates to the 9th week of '69. PT is 34th week of 68, and the OT is 5th week of '69. Tubes are new JJ's. Very good condition, only a few small dings. Sounds great. $850, plus shipping/fees.

gilmourjunkie

Reaction score
damn, I wish I had the $$ I miss my drip edge Bronco and Deluxe I sold off a few years ago. Princeton is such a great amp.

J.T.

Reaction score
Bump! This will be with me at the Orlando show on Saturday.

kakao

Reaction score
Nice amp, but no way this new amp has a Black Face circuitry, which was stopped in 1967/1968.

G/L with the sale!

Left Paw

Reaction score
I don't think so. They didn't change the circuitry until 1972-73 or so. This is still blackface circuit. And the major changes didn't come until later in the 70s. GL at the show.

J.T.

Reaction score
kakao - it says "AA964" on the tube chart. You tell me what that means.

Thanks, LP...

cschlish

Reaction score
This was one of the last few Blackfaces made and in Excellent condition! GLWS

BIG Dave

Reaction score
kakao - it says "AA964" on the tube chart. You tell me what that means.

Thanks, LP...
The tube chart isn't always accurate, Fender just used up whatever they had sitting around. BUT, I agree that Drip Edge Princetons and Deluxes are still Blackface on the inside.

J.T.

Reaction score
Thanks! Now it just needs to find a good home. Someone asked why I'm selling - I picked up a Princeton Reverb, which suits my style better. Also had another guy tell me that these Princetons take pedals very well. I'm pretty much a straight into the amp guy, but it's good to know.

J.T.

Reaction score
Let's bump this little screamer back up to the top for a bit...

kakao

Reaction score
Please accept my apologies guys, I briefly looked at the tread photos and thought its a '68 Custom (released recently), and not the original 1969 drip edge silver face.

Leo sold the firm on 3 January 1965 to CBS (for $13mil) however they retained the internals and the circuitry models during 1965, 1966, 1967 and until about April of 1968. Then CBS engineers started butchering the amps circuitry and other components, so some amps were changed earlier, some stayed unchanged for a few more years.

In essence, the silver face amps (drip edge/black line only) were still with original design and components.

By the beginning of 1970 CBS completed many of their changes (for worse) thus the huge popularity of the famous Black Face amps (1964-1967), inclusive of the transitional ones (drip edge amps), which ended at some time in 1969.

You may wish to change or try some other speaker, as the craftsmanship of Leo's was way advanced compared to the ones producing the speakers for Leo's amps (Oxford, Utah .. except for the original Jensens).

Lovely amp & G/L with the sale!

gilmourjunkie

Reaction score
How has this not sold? On a side note, as mentioned above these are essentially blackface guts with different cosmetics. When Fender took over they left the "smaller" amps alone. I sent my drip edge Deluxe Reverb to be serviced and asked to have the amp "blackfaced." The guy told me it was so close already that the difference would not be noticeable or worth the cost/effort. Lots of information on on Fender Guru website fenderguru.com. Fender amps, mods, modifications, vintage, maintenance, tubes, speakers, schematics, blackface, silverface, jens mosbergvik. and the Fender section of amp wares Fender | Ampwares. I seriously wish I had the cash for this one.

J.T.

Reaction score
Friday bump - let's find this baby a new home!

J.T.

Reaction score
Let's get this one sold, too. Reasonable offers considered.

Latest Threads