1969/70 SG Standard "Custom", what do you think?

mikey see

Reaction score
Alright vintage SG experts, sound off. What do you think of this guitar?

with more pics here and here

There are a lot of things about this guitar that I haven't seen before, such as the vibrola, the plate in the body for the bridge, the 5-piece neck, and the finish. The truss rod cover is also a bit different, though I have seen that style on a Custom shop SG.

So what do you think, any insights? The price seems quite a bit lower than other SG's from that time.

SoloDallas

Reaction score
Seen it now, thank you. Well, I like it. It definitely is a '69/70. Can't seem to see a volute, but that's compatible with its date. Never seen such a vibrola before. Interesting.
The cutaways are compatible with the later 60s SGs. Shallow carvings. The price is interesting. If I were looking for a vintage SG, provided the neck is fine, I'd purchase it with a snap.

mikey see

Reaction score
Great, thanks for replying. That makes me feel much more comfortable about my purchase.

mikey see

Reaction score
Well this guitar showed up today. Awesome! Except..

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

It came from Mexico, and it seems someone along the way had a little hands-on time with it. Now I get to sort it all out.

Mark H

Reaction score
Was it UPS? Other guys on here said not to trust them. Still yet other guys on here fix stuff like that and ya can't even tell, at least from their pix.
The dang thing makes it thru 40 yrs of concerts, kids, pawn shops and a guy that is suppose to give you "safe shipping" pulls a Pete Townshend on ya. Sorry to see that good luck.

your idol

Reaction score
first id puke, then id cry, then id GPS the tracking route from UPS to UPS location...then id start loading clips. rotsa ruck getting your $$$ back, UPS are dicks about stuff.

mikey see

Reaction score
Actually it was DHL, and they're being pretty cool about it. BUT (and that's a big but) it turns out the sender cut alot of corners.

First, he sent it in just the case; no box, padding, nothing, just the freaking vintage case (which is now beat to hell).

Second, he did not get any coverage. He's trying to explain that he got duped here, but that is just ridiculous. You don't mail a $1700 guitar across the country without any type of insurance.

Third, the declared value on it is $10. He says he didn't do that (even has "proof"), but one way or another that pretty much relieves DHL of much liability.

Fortunately I just got an email this morning saying he's accepting the blame and he'll pay out of his pocket. Now I just need to figure out how much of a refund I want. The guitar is beautiful, so I would still like to keep it rather than return it for a refund. He agreed that a "loss of collectibility" should be factored into the refund as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on how much a neck repair would diminish the value of this guitar?

SoloDallas

Reaction score
A lot, unfortunately, although it is common. Several of my SGs had that (bought after they were fixed: GOOD bargain).
Could lose 1k USD.
Fix job should be around USD 300. Must be done well, but you won't see/hear a difference.

your idol

Reaction score
id go $700 refund...that should cover repair and value dip

Latest Threads