1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom 2018 50th Anniversary full set, B stock

comcf

Reaction score
I am contemplating parting with my 68 Custom 50th Anniversary Reissue, which I recently picked up from Musician's Friend. The relevant photos are below. So is the spec with the marketing mumbo jumbo (which, obviously adds at least 4K to MSRP) is below. Ebony fretboard, maple cap. 59 neck profile. Really. 68 Custombuckers. About 8.7lbs.

I had a real 69 Custom and sold it to keep this one. See reviews, they're all true. True story. But one only needs so many Customs.

It's as close to NOS as you can get. All accessories, including the 68 Gazette reprint. Looks the same as on the Gibson website. Here: CLICK HERE FOR SPECS

It's B stock. Why? Because there are two finish cracks at near the nut on the side of the neck. They're not a break, the fretboard didn't move, purely cosmetic. The action, intonation, sound, and so on are completely unaffected. Might have some other, purely cosmetic thing.

This does affect the price. They were 5500 MSRP, about 5K retail. I picked this one for $3500. So, that's my asking, plus shipping. You can always pick up in Boston or thereabouts, and save on shipping
.IMG_5976.jpg
IMG_5963.jpgIMG_5964.jpgIMG_5965.jpgIMG_5967.jpgIMG_5970.jpgIMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5947.jpg

Attachments

yamariv

Reaction score
Sorry to say but that neck has cracked, you can even see where it continues under the headstock inlay. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that a very typical headstock trauma injury, who ever checked it out was not knowledgeable or wanted to pass it off.

If you don't believe me, post the pics in the Luthier section and see what they say..

calieng

Reaction score
That is a headstock half way to being broken off. If not repaired (glued) then it likely will crack further. You should return for refund.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Same crack on both sides, running to grain direction, it’s typically a stress crack in the wood. I also have seen this happening when changing nut, when forcing the joint against the slot. Not this case, as the nut it’s original. Natural checking should typically happen just along parallel the fretboard/neck junction line (which sits just few mm under the binding), not following grain.

Black light isnt working here, as does only show up the surface UV reflectance.

It’s an annoying condition for sure.

Last edited:

rabidhamster

Reaction score
It’s not necessarily a headstock crack, the lacquer crack forms from the corners of the nut slot on both sides, there is a hard right angle of dissimilar materials right there which is prone to cracking.

Further the crack is tending to run along the bottom hidden-in-paint edge of the fretboard/Binding.

This is actually pretty common in used Gibson’s.