1966 ? Gibson SG Refin to Pelham blue 60477

ipodsandlps

Reaction score
1969 is the most logical date with what we have to offer here......

@CerebralGasket there we’re absolutely some late 1969 Gibsons with a volute.
Yeah, I have to agree with you guys im thinking its a 1969 as well. One of the major differences that helped me come to that was the actual routing of the control cavity. Early 60s SG's had circles and a more rounded route in the control cavity, while the 1969 SG has more flat walls in the control cavity. That with the brass harness and pot codes, Im pretty sure this is a 1969 Gibson SG that someone installed a small guard onto or something.

Thank you for your response! It helps a lot.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
As you've already figured out, it's definitely not a '66. I would tend to agree with those who have suggested '69 as a good possibility. Another reason that I haven't seen mentioned is the large base to the crown on the headstock, which is a change that came about in the very late '60s.

I know you mentioned that it didn't have a volute earlier, but if you look at it from the side very closely, do you see a tiny bump of a volute? Those started appearing in '69 I believe.

Looks cool!

Last edited:

ipodsandlps

Reaction score
After looking, still no volute or bump on the back of headstock. Im 99.99% sure its a 1969 SG because of the more flat routing in control cavity, different MOP Gibson logo, pot codes and the heel joint of the guitar

Zeppelinguy685

Reaction score
I'd like to chime in and point out that logo style where it was a block of pearl that was stenciled is pretty exclusive to '69. Before and after it was inlayed pearl. Not sure why they did that and then switched again, but I'm pretty certain with the logo type, and neck join, it's at least a 69 neck. As to the body, I'm not sure if it's plugged or from a different year, either way it's a great looking guitar!

Pete M

Reaction score
I'd like to chime in and point out that logo style where it was a block of pearl that was stenciled is pretty exclusive to '69. Before and after it was inlayed pearl. Not sure why they did that and then switched again, but I'm pretty certain with the logo type, and neck join, it's at least a 69 neck. As to the body, I'm not sure if it's plugged or from a different year, either way it's a great looking guitar!
This.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Cool guitar and great info on this thread - fascinating read, guys!

ipodsandlps

Reaction score
Definitely, The logo was a big identifier and ruled out the possibility of early 60s. Im glad that all the signs are pointing to one thing, rather than just a mix of different years it could possibly be. The guitar must have been a 69 that it was repainted and made to look like an earlier SG for better value, or one of the original owners likes the small pickguard better.

Im just glad i didnt get ripped off on this guitar haha! It turned out well, and i appreciate everyones input and knowledge on the subject. This forum rocks

moreles

Reaction score
I don't know SGs well enough to do anything other than observe that the neck joint sure looks strange, especially from above. It looks reworked and narrowed, though I assume it is not. Also, with the nibs gone, I'm assuming a refret. And Pelham Blue is not metallic, is it? That's a very confusing guitar. I'd sure as heck get that abominable tailpiece off it ASAP, though. What would possess someone to go with that thing?

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Ike others have said, I would think it is 1969. The giveaway for me is the logo is crumbled out of there. Do some research, the only year they did the headstock logo like that was 1969. I had a ‘69 es-345 with the same exact issue. Apparently Gibson was cost cutting in the logo that year and because of that, over time the logo just crumbled apart

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Im not as familiar on SGs as LPs- but that is one cool guitar man!:slash::slash::slash:

Latest Threads