1966 Fender Vibrolux Reverb in Excellent Condition

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've finally come to terms with selling my Holy Grail amp, an original 1966 Fender Vibrolux Reverb in excellent condition, with the most highly coveted original Jensen C10q speakers.

About two years ago, I took it to The Amp Lab in Campbell, CA (the best place in my area), to have it looked over. He replaced the power tubes with a matched pair of Tung-Sols, checked the bias, cleaned the connections, and pronounced it perfect! The only very minor issue is that the footswitch will not usually engage if you push it with your fingers, it needs a solid stomp with some weight behind it to switch every time.

Everything is completely original (transformers, footswitch, highly coveted speakers) except:
1. New filter caps
2. Tubes
3. 3-pronged power cord installed and "death cap" removed

The only mod is that the Ground switch now switches between the tube rectifier or a diode bridge rectifier (in picture), which removes sag and adds about 3-5 Watts of output power.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

AMP SPECS:
Year:

Serial number: A 04164

Weight lbs.: 45

Width in.: 25

Depth in.: 9.5

Height in.: 18.25

TUBES:

Rectifier: GZ34

Preamp: four 12AX7 two 12AT7

Power: two 6L6

SPEAKER CODES: 220550 (both)

TRANSFORMER CODES:

Power: 606 536

Choke: 606 548

Reverb Driver: 606542

Output: 606539

I would strongly prefer a local sale, but if you want it shipped, let's work something out. I think that it'd cost ~$200 to pack, insure, and ship it (including Paypal fees).

$2,750 local cash deal in the Santa Cruz / San Jose area.

Last edited:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
More Info:
http://fenderguru.com/amps/vibrolux/

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/text/tq-40w.pdf

Summary (from Fender Guru site):
The 35w blackface Vibrolux Reverb (VR) is the smallest member of the blackface/silverface 6L6 Fender amp family. Its strength lies in the sweetness and early breakup caused by the smaller transformers than the Super Reverb, Vibroverb and Pro Reverb. 10 inch speakers provide a more scooped, responsive, punchy and sparkling sound than 12 inch speakers.

The Vibrolux Reverb has become a very popular amp since The ToneQuest Report published the article "Under 40 Watt of Whoop Ass," awarding the VR as the most preferred low wattage Fender amp.

Speakers (from Fender Guru site):

The blackface and silverface Vibrolux came with several different production speakers; Blackface amps had Jensen C10q or Oxford 10L5 while the silverfaces could have Oxford 10L5 or CTS. Having played all of these speakers our favorites are, not surprisingly, the Jensen C10q and CTS. A blackface Vibrolux with a pair of gold and red labeled Jensen C10q is just a fantastic amp. The Jensen serial number starts with 220 followed by production year X(X) and week (Y)Y.

Last edited:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bump, I'm willing to drive up to 1.5 hours to meet. Feel free to make a reasonable offer, the worst I can do is say no.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll do $2,850 Paypal'd and shipped CONUS, insured and packed professionally. I don't think that I could go any lower, unless for a local pickup.

Olds442

Reaction score
wow, good luck with the sale. amazing amp.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
wow, good luck with the sale. amazing amp.

Thanks, I actually turned down $2,500 local cash for it the last time I listed it for sale because I suddenly couldn't bear to part with it. Someone had better snatch it up quickly or I might have the same second thoughts again!

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bump, back up for sale. I'd really like to do a local deal and not ship this, even if that means driving a couple of hours. I'm in Santa Cruz county.

I was actually offered $2,700 back in June (last time I had an ad up locally), but got cold feet about selling it again! I really have come to terms with letting it go though, and I will move it on to the next home for $2,700.

No trades at all, thanks.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't do it unless you need money for a life saving therapy for your kid.

No it's okay, she's ready to move on to a good home. I'm just not using it enough to justify keeping, I don't do any studio recording, and I don't want to take it out to any bar gigs, etc. Not worth it to keep for only using in my house. Now a little Blackface Princeton, perhaps...

Last edited:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bump, would take $2,600 cash locally. Shipping with PayPal and insurance will likely come to $200 or so.

Last edited:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bump, will do $2,750 shipped and insured, absolutely will not go any lower unless you're picking up locally. Get her before I change my mind (again)!

Latest Threads