1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb - NAD & Restoration Thread

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Oh, the back. Yes, here's the finished shot of the back, with the proper screws and proper amount of holes holding the back panels on:

20220922223052-92c0d83b-xl.jpg

I sent just this one photo below to my friend, who's both a player and a dealer, showing him what I had on my bench. He responded with "Wow. The reissues have really come a long way." He didn't even consider that an amp this clean wasn't an original!

Came out real nice!
i.php

We aren't done, though. I'll be getting back inside and REALLY going over every part, as well as replacing the electrolytics with my own replicas, once they are ready.

The little tag on the back is a reminder for me. My own projects are never done. This is so I know what was fresh on my mind, the last time I was inside an amp. Otherwise, I'll forget.
20220922223007-6871132d-xl.jpg

It has a little bit of a tremolo tick, but it's not volume dependent so you really only hear it when the volume is almost off. Turned up, it goes away.

I might put the NFB loop through the now-not-in-use ground switch, to bypass it. Of course, I say that about every one of these and I've never actually done it. They always please me stock and serviced and I'm left wanting for nothing.

Those new feet will go on tomorrow.

Maybe I'll cut a solid baffle for it one day, but probably not unless it gives me some trouble. It's sturdy and sounding great right now.

Gotta say, this is a FAR more expressive amp than I expected for a single C12N speaker small amp. Plucking the strings with the soft part of my thumb, or the callused part of my thumb, sounds like switching pickups. Picking just a few millimeters closer or farther from the bridge sounds wildly different. I'll need to compare side-by-side but I'm really blown away to think this might be as expressive as my 1969 Twin Reverb with D120s. That's the amp that hides nothing and shows it all. My main test rig. This one is at least very close, if not there, but it absolutely sounds more musical and pleasing. Not as touchy and stiff as that Twin Reverb. I'm real happy! :thumb:

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bravo! That’s absolutely beautiful! Making me want to bust out the pro again.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
@cooljuk
First, regarding your most recently posted "reverb-inspired shop music." That Justin Johnson is absolutely amazing on so many levels! :cool: His innate sense of musicality is refreshing, at the very least!

But on to bustin' yer OCD cojones. Doesn't it bother you that the two left screws of the top rear panel aren't in a straight line? o_O :slap: And now that my reference has helped you "notice" it, I'll bet you can't ever "un-notice" it? :doh:

Of course, you realize I'm just "feeding" the monster?

Simply Bustin'
Gene

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
@cooljuk
First, regarding your most recently posted "reverb-inspired shop music." That Justin Johnson is absolutely amazing on so many levels! :cool: His innate sense of musicality is refreshing, at the very least!

But on to bustin' yer OCD cojones. Doesn't it bother you that the two left screws of the top rear panel aren't in a straight line? o_O :slap: And now that my reference has helped you "notice" it, I'll bet you can't ever "un-notice" it? :doh:

Simply Bustin'
Gene

Thank you, Gene. I appreciate all of it.

Yes, I did have to go back and look.

I suppose the particular way my mind works is that, if someone else had come along after that amp left Fender and put a screw in crooked, I'd be fixing it. ...but if the great Forrest White put that screw in that location, who am I, a mere peasant, to question Leo Fender's only Shop Manager and the very Vice President of Fender, himself? Perhaps that's the location of the screw that unleashes all the real mojo? :)

After I made my post with the Justin Johnson clip, YouTube proceeded to auto play for me about an hour of his dark instrumental slide blues. I dug every minute of it! Just wonderful.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
@cooljuk

Simply Bustin'
Gene
LOL!!!

If it were my amp?

243390071.jpg

yeatzee

Reaction score
The real exciting part will be the replica electrolytics I make. As far as I know, nobody has ever done it. I’m not talking about restuffing the old tubes (which I don’t have anyway). I’m talking building some real replicas!
:shock::dude::dude::dude:

PLEASE keep me updated on that James! We need to chat, but far far far too long, but I've recently acquired an all original untouched CLEAN 1959 princeton 5f2a that works and sounds great. I've been slowly planning for the eventuality of needing to service it, with the leading plan me attempting to stuff the caps but replica caps sounds amazing!

I90e9fI.jpg

Fixed up the power section and that green screen gird resistor real quick.

i.php

Some of you have seen me "demilitarize" these 5 band military spec Allen Bradleys before...
i.php

i.php

i.php

Got rid of that 5th band nice and clean. Now, to make the other bands a bit thinner to match the existing original on the other socket.

i.php

20220919121304-f9bfca3b-xl.jpg

Still looks new but it's correct and matches. A little heat / use might dull it a bit but I might also just hit it with a little Scotch Brite and knock that shine off. Do you taste the crazy, yet?
You are an absolute mad man and I love it!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
:shock::dude::dude::dude:

PLEASE keep me updated on that James! We need to chat, but far far far too long, but I've recently acquired an all original untouched CLEAN 1959 princeton 5f2a that works and sounds great. I've been slowly planning for the eventuality of needing to service it, with the leading plan me attempting to stuff the caps but replica caps sounds amazing!

I90e9fI.jpg

You are an absolute mad man and I love it!

Wow, Tanner! That’s squeaky clean. Rachel did a good job and whoever owned that did well at preserving her work. Even the tweed and knobs look clean. Even the always-rotten leather handle!

I’d strongly suggest you not DIY anything on that gem and not necessarily change the caps, just because you assume they are in bad shape (which is a fair assumption, tbh).

Now, with both those dry electrolytics and the yellow Astrons, yes, the odds are strong that they do leak voltage which is bad for the sound, the integrity of other amp components, and perhaps safety in particular cases. However, because of how special that amp is, I’d not shotgun the caps based just on odds. That one is worth a proper part-by-part inspection, not only visually, and not on a cheap little modern ESR and capacitance meter, but on one of the only two commercial capacitance meters that checks caps at real world high voltage. Healthkit and Sprague both made one (I have the Sprague) and I don’t know of others other than just some big old bench power supplies you can also test with. If any of those caps doesn’t leak at 500 volts or whatever, let it be. No need to for a liver transplant on a healthy patient.

Vintage amp restoration is a passion and hobby of mine, but I don’t typically take it on as commercial work. In the interest of preserving early American musical manufacturing history, I’d be glad to talk with you about that one. If not for me to mess with, I’ve got a colleague/mentor who specializes in those very amps out in the Sacramento area. He may well have been in more of those than anyone but Lily and Lupe (and I guess Rachel). Could be closer to you, maybe?

yeatzee

Reaction score
Wow, Tanner! That’s squeaky clean. Rachel did a good job and whoever owned that did well at preserving her work. Even the tweed and knobs look clean. Even the always-rotten leather handle!

I’d strongly suggest you not DIY anything on that gem and not necessarily change the caps, just because you assume they are in bad shape (which is a fair assumption, tbh).

Now, with both those dry electrolytics and the yellow Astrons, yes, the odds are strong that they do leak voltage which is bad for the sound, the integrity of other amp components, and perhaps safety in particular cases. However, because of how special that amp is, I’d not shotgun the caps based just on odds. That one is worth a proper part-by-part inspection, not only visually, and not on a cheap little modern ESR and capacitance meter, but on one of the only two commercial capacitance meters that checks caps at real world high voltage. Healthkit and Sprague both made one (I have the Sprague) and I don’t know of others other than just some big old bench power supplies you can also test with. If any of those caps doesn’t leak at 500 volts or whatever, let it be. No need to for a liver transplant on a healthy patient.

Vintage amp restoration is a passion and hobby of mine, but I don’t typically take it on as commercial work. In the interest of preserving early American musical manufacturing history, I’d be glad to talk with you about that one. If not for me to mess with, I’ve got a colleague/mentor who specializes in those very amps out in the Sacramento area. He may well have been in more of those than anyone but Lily and Lupe (and I guess Rachel). Could be closer to you, maybe?
Don't want to derail your awesome thread so i'll shoot you a message, or maybe I'll just start a new thread for it :)

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Got a handful of NOS meatball-logo RCA 12AT7s to go through for the reverb driver and the PI. I like those 5-star GEs quite a bit but they are a bit brighter / cleaner and will be better suited to compliment a fatter sounding amp, I think.

i.php

A couple triple mica 12AT7WAs, too.
i.php

...also a selection of 7 and 4 notch Blackburn Mullard GZ34s to run as the rectifier.
i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

Also a meatball-logo NIB 7-notch Blackburn Mullard GZ34, which ended up in the amp but not in the photos.

i.php

So, yes, a full plate of metered, hand-picked, and ear-tested NOS meatball RCAs!

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Here's the original feet of the amp. By far the worst part of it. In fact, they are the only really worn part. Maybe the amp sat in 1mm of acid water for a few days once?

i.php

i.php

Got some new replicas on there. I'm all about vintage parts but, well, not in this case. If they were the later style with the sandwiched rubber, I'd probably mix a blend of vintage metal and modern rubber parts to make some but with these 1950s style, I'll take new super tough chrome plating and just live with a huge loss of tone that must certainly come from the feet.
i.php

This is what was left of the original feet. Should I put them in a baggie to keep with the amp? Haha! I laugh now but in 100 years some cyborg will read this and wonder why I didn't.
i.php

drivers1959

Reaction score
@cooljuk I hope the amp shows up unmolested and in one piece.

My story-

I recently bought a used Fender Rumble bass combo from “that big box store”. A 150 watt combo, big heavy amp. I had it shipped to the local store, and opened the shipping box at the register. The packing was deplorable and the amp was smashed. I obviously got a refund on the spot….but had to eat the shipping.

Never again, lesson learned!
its to bad that if stores pack stuff terribly like this,..they should also be responsible for paying or refunding the shipping cost..problem is u got a bunch of young guys who clearly have no packing or shipping experience and they're probabaly just getting paid a low minimum hourly wage..and most dont give a shit either way..and its sad..because i'm sure many nice products get ruined due to lack of properly shipping a product out the door!!!

SoK66

Reaction score
My ‘66 DR was in bear original condition as the OPs when I got it back in 2009. Unfortunately it was as dead as a cedar post sounding. Required a number of small component replacements to wake it back up. It had sat in a closet for decades in an area of the country with high ambient humidity. No rust, but many badly drifted resistors & caps.

Louie the Slug

Reaction score
My reverb-inspired shop music for tonight consists of a journey into modern surf music. Some pretty cool stuff out there. Double dipping here with some Blackguard action:

Same dude plays Voodoo Chile on a shovel, via a boxcutter. Wha?!

Tightening up and protecting the corners with CA in a syringe.
i.php

The feet are the only part of the amp that shows any wear. They are the earlier 50s style. I have a set arriving tomorrow to replace them with.

i.php

Other side:
i.php

i.php

...and another. This will all be spotless when I'm done. Well, maybe not all those white pain spots. Why do all old Fender amps have those? It's so common, I've heard amp techs joke about it being a way to authenticate a real vintage one.

i.php

^ you can also see that extra hole in that cabinet that is the partner for the extra hole in the back panel I filled above. I'll dowel it up, shortly.

Got the inside all cleaned up and the edges glued back down. Look how clean that screen shield is! I've never seen one that clean.
i.php

...and the other side.
i.php

I used to let those finger joints soak up some fish glue. That was something I started doing on the larger amps and ones that had a rougher life and taken some knocks. I'm going to leave this one alone. It seems fine.

I think this shot shows how little the grill cloth has discolored over the years. It's basically exactly the same color on the edge where it was protected.
i.php

Here's that knot again. I guess you can't really tell, but it sucked up a ton of thin CA glue.
i.php

I could feel the heat of the glue setting reaction a ways away from the knot, so I know it really got drawn deep into the wood.
Great shovel solo. I wonder if he replaced the shovel shaft with mahogany, he would get better tone?

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Here's the original feet of the amp. By far the worst part of it. In fact, they are the only really worn part. Maybe the amp sat in 1mm of acid water for a few days once?

i.php

i.php

Got some new replicas on there. I'm all about vintage parts but, well, not in this case. If they were the later style with the sandwiched rubber, I'd probably mix a blend of vintage metal and modern rubber parts to make some but with these 1950s style, I'll take new super tough chrome plating and just live with a huge loss of tone that must certainly come from the feet.
i.php

This is what was left of the original feet. Should I put them in a baggie to keep with the amp? Haha! I laugh now but in 100 years some cyborg will read this and wonder why I didn't.
i.php

My guess would be that it sat on a bare concrete floor (garage or basement) with medium to high humidity for a good long while! That might also explain the unglued tolex on the bottom?

Just Thinkin'
Gene

Latest Threads