1965 Fender Vibro Champ

J.T.

Reaction score
This one is a survivor in excellent condition. Even though the build date from the tube chart is April 1965, the panel still reads FEIC, and the build is the same as the pre-CBS '64's - PIO caps and big honkin' '50's resistors. Compare it to other blackface Champs (there's plenty of pics on eBay). You'll find very few with the earlier components. The electronics are totally un-f'd-with, save for the three prong AC cord replacement and removal of the death cap. The amp came to me with a newer Jensen 8" speaker. Because the stock Champs tend to get farty on the bass notes, I had a JBL 8 inch, 16 ohm custom re-coned to 4 ohms. Problem solved. It's louder than the Jensen, too. Dimed out with treble and bass both on 10, playing through the Alnico staple pickup of my old Custom, there's no mud. It sounds amazing. The reason I'm selling? I recently picked up '68 Champ that I'm liking a little bit better, plus I'm looking for something just a bit bigger to add to the collection. I'm asking $850 with the JBL or $750 with the Jensen, shipping and fees extra. The only trades I'd consider are for a blackface or dripedge Deluxe Reverb, or an early 80's Super Champ. Thanks for looking and please ping me with any questions.

J.T.

Reaction score
Bump it up. Was informed my description had an incorrect fact. The caps are, in fact, wax/paper caps. So there!

J.T.

Reaction score
Bumping it up. I have a period correct Fender special design speaker coming this week that is going into this amp. New price will be $800. I'll try to post up a sound file once it's in.

J.T.

Reaction score
So the new speaker didn't sound as good with this amp as I'd hoped. Best bet's the JBL, but the Jensen is an option, too. This is a great little amp. Nice, fat distortion at bedroom levels. Great practice amp. probably good for recording or mic'd up live, I'd bet.

J.T.

Reaction score
Still available. JBL sounds best in this one, so it's going back in. New barrel nuts on the way that'll lock it down without modifying anything.

Latest Threads