1965 Fender Super Reverb 4x10

Rockstar1957

Reaction score
Hi LP People,
I picked up a new amp yesterday. A vintage 1965 Fender Super Reverb. Still has the 2 prong cord on it. It has Jensen 10's made in Italy which are not original. Other than that, the amp is beautiful! I check the date code on the tube tag, OL December of 1965. A christmas amp. I plugged a LP Traditional Pro II straight in last night but could only go to 2 as others were home, The reverb is awesome, straight 60's Fender liquid shimmer. Everything works great and I can't wait to turn it up today!! Here is a photo. :slash:

Attachments

• 1965 SR.jpg
    1965 SR.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 60

DRB

Reaction score
Nice. Looks almost new. Post some audio samples if you can.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Congratulations. Those are sweet amps. :thumb:

I managed to find a 68, not too long ago.

Before you put much playtime on it, I would recommend getting the two prong cord replaced and have the filter caps replaced with new asap. These caps were never designed or intended to last 49 years. :cool:

This is a pretty interesting read:
http://littlebrotherblues.com/Gear/Blackface-Super-Restoration/index.html

Above is a part of the amp most people miss. It's the main filter capacitor board underneath and hidden by a metal cover. These work like huge electric storage tanks that smooth out the voltage going to all the tubes in the amp. These are voltages that can kill you at over 400 volts. If you don't replace these caps and one happens to short out it will burn up your transformers and cost more money to repair than you can justify for most amps. Although these test out okay with my multimeter I don't trust them. These will get replaced before the amp is ever powered on again.

You want to replace these:
PC036786.JPG

With these:
PC036806.JPG

Another valuable reference:
A Word on “Cap Jobs” | Vintage Fender Amp Repair

roeg

Reaction score
Thats a nice score!I like!

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Rockstar, any chance you can pull the chassis, takes some pics, and post them? It's the only way to know if that amp is unmolested. Way too many of these old BF Fenders had the factory coupling caps pulled by less than scrupulous amp techs.

bbutler123

Reaction score
Hi LP People,
I picked up a new amp yesterday. A vintage 1965 Fender Super Reverb. Still has the 2 prong cord on it. It has Jensen 10's made in Italy which are not original. Other than that, the amp is beautiful! I check the date code on the tube tag, OL December of 1965. A christmas amp. I plugged a LP Traditional Pro II straight in last night but could only go to 2 as others were home, The reverb is awesome, straight 60's Fender liquid shimmer. Everything works great and I can't wait to turn it up today!! Here is a photo. :slash:
I'm afraid you're going to have to give that to me.
I'm a nice guy, so that may ease the pain. But my address is:

1414 Jealousy Ave.
Amp Covet, Wisconsin

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great amp. That's a keeper. :thumb:

I don't want to moisten your wheaties with your excellent new amp, but once you've got past the honeymoon you might consider replacing the re-issue Jensens with something better. I have experience with 8 of these things (in an old Super Reverb and a Bassman RI), and found they didn't really cut the mustard. I ended up going with Webers in both those amps and I would happily recommend them. But whether you go for Weber or something else, I reckon you can do better than the AlNiCo Jensen re-issues.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Congrats Rockstar,

I have a '65 BF Fender Vibrolux and two other vintage Fenders and they all sound great.

Enjoy that beautiful amp.

Latest Threads