1964 Gibson Firebird I think its Legit but want opinions

judson

Reaction score
been trading emails with seller....i am pretty sure this is legit but want another few set of eyes and opinions....

no serial as it had a neck repair, refinish to black so thats gone, seller says pots date to 1963

control cavity is an abortion gone wrong...seller claims 3 "experts" say its a 1964......

the price is right for a player which works for me, cant afford the case queens and its gonna get played

last questions....i know that case will snap a neck like a toothpick but can i get this shipped into the States without alot of BS ?

your thoughts , opinions are appreciated and welcomed...

and if you buy it before i can convince myself to spend the cash , it wont bother me either

thanks!

Gar

Reaction score
I love Firebirds, I have a reverse and non reverse (modern not vintage). I wouldn't buy one with a missing serial personally. Have you seen the 2020 custom shop Firebird Vs from the NAMM show? Non reverse are vintage bargains in my opinion.

judson

Reaction score
thought about the non reverse but no...i have a 72 ltd edition, a 1991 and bought the Epiphone Bonamassa Firbird 1 Treasure...so the early 60's will hold me for Fbirds after that....but would lke a red early bird bit they are getting crazy money...

not thrilled with new stuff but i will admit the 2019/2020 stuff is interesting but have not played any.....yet

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Looks cool to me!
Brutal soldering.
Can't see a pot code, but the one 6 could mean 66, unless there are 3 numerals after it.
It could be shipped in that case, but the seller would have to really understand y
how to wrap the neck by the cradle to keep the end of the headstock from bottoming out.

moreles

Reaction score
In the 10th picture in the sequence, it looks strange where the neck meets the body. I thought the "split level" line formed by the thru-neck ought to continue straight to the edge of the body, but there appears to be some kind of blending/contouring taking place. Maybe it's just a bad pic, but it's a concern. Of course, I wonder what break has been overpainted causing the serial number to be lost. I don't automatically trust repairs. I don't mind them if I can see the full extent and degree of effectiveness of the work. Often, a big discount is in order because resale is bad. Big ditto for no serial number. That can be a deal breaker. Finally, there are some pretty bad hacks. That stuff happens, but some of those are particularly jarring. I'd want more info. I love Firebirds (had a black Centennial) but they can be pretty crapped up. Good luck sorting this out.