1963 ES-335, your thoughts?

moreles

Reaction score
Yes, the PU covers look like chrome next to the nickel bridge and TP, raising the issue of what PUs are actually in there. Maybe some guru can do authentification from those pics, but I sure can't. I'm disappointed and concerned that the seller is providing such measley visual material for such an expensive instrument. Can't really do much with what's provided othee than ask for more and better pics.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Cherry color is rare? Probably a refret, plenty of meat after 57 years of playing? Looks like there are no nibs but not a deal breaker. The neck pup may be an original PAF based on marks on the legs but can’t tell with the bridge pup, need better pics. Covers look like they’ve been off, not sure if they are supposed to be chrome or nickel. I personally wouldn’t pay that much for a guitar unless I could inspect it personally or really trusted the seller.

cherrick

Reaction score
1) price is crazy high. It will take forever and a day and a steadily inflating guitar-value market to get your money back on this one (i.e. unicorn)
2) Cherry is probably the most common color of all ES-335's so NOT rare
3) Tuners are double-ring / single line. Is that correct for 1963? This guy says they are correct:
https://reverb.com/ca/item/2018180-1960-1963-kluson-deluxe-single-line-double-ring-tuners-tuning-keys-pegs-gibson-es-335-sg-les-paul

4) Pickups don't look original. If you really believe one of them is a true PAF, the pickup alone might pay for a good part of the guitar. "If".
5) nice guitar though. Great year (1963). Great color (Cherry - my fave).
6) If those pickups are NOT original and NOT PAFs I would have them swapped for Throbak KZ-115's in a heart beat.
7) are you looking for a vintage player, and investment, or both? If not, why not a Custom Shop Historic reissue?
8) the Bridge pickup is definitely a "Patent No #", not a PAF. I doubt the neck is a PAF. Compare:
https://reverb.com/item/35153398-1962-1965-gibson-paf-spec-pre-t-top-patent-number-sticker-pickup-purple-wire

Last edited:

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm interested in this old girl:

https://www.guitarsandthings.com.au/...hand?rq=gibson

I can't go see her in person unfortunately.

Questions:
- Can anyone spot anything fishy? Pickup covers look chrome to me.
- How are 63 necks generally?
- What further photos would you want to see?

Thanks
The pic I would need would be one of me playing it; have the seller send it on over, I'll Her take the shot, and I'll get back to you in 10 or 20 years...................

Other than that, I will concur with Cherrick.

Steven

Reaction score
Much too expensive for that condition, and in general.

aside

Reaction score
Yeah price is high but that's typical for Australia. Once COVID passes I might go see her in person, otherwise it's a pass based on the potential issues.

mdubya

Reaction score
If I were hot to buy this guitar, and considering the current state of the world, I would ask the seller to verify in writing what they are claiming the guitar to be/have. Then negotiate are fair price with the guarantee of refusal if anything claimed is not true.

It is all but certain that the covers have been off the pickups and either are not original or the guitar is not a '63. Everything else is up to the seller to back up. Pay by credit card to assure you can dispute the charges if it is not correct and the seller refuses to refund.

If the seller isn't willing to accommodate such things, they aren't worth dealing with.

JMHO.

This is all why I am reluctant to wade into the vintage market. The waters are too murky for me.

aside

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not very confident with the seller, pity as these come up very seldomly down under.

wmachine

Reaction score
This is all why I am reluctant to wade into the vintage market. The waters are too murky for me.
This is me, exactly. I follow vintage and read and learn with interest. But I really don't want to go through the learning curve and the pitfalls enough to get into buying them. Might have if I were younger, but not now. That's where the CME blowout sale became my salvation. I bought a bunch of Memphis ES models that are really decent modern renditions and now can just sit back and be an observer.
So to those of you pursuing them, my hats off to you! Thanks for sharing your experiences. And carry on..............

Latest Threads