1962 Guild CE 100 Capri

Guitarhack

Reaction score
I was interested in vintage Guilds because they made jazz boxes that have 9.5 radius necks and are still pretty reasonable on the used market. I found a 1962 Guild CE-100 Capri on Reverb that was really reasonably priced because of the modifications that were done to her. One of her previous owners took out the original P90 style pickup and routed out two holes for humbuckers - when they sold it there were some cheapy EMG's thrown in it. They also changed the electronics to accommodate the new pickup set ups. I'm guessing because of the pickup change they dumped the original pickguard as well. The frets were worn. The positives - her neck is straight, the truss rod is good, the binding is in good shape and the guitar in general is in excellent condition for an almost 60 year old guitar. Acoustically, she sounds great.

I got a set of Wolfetone (Dr. Vintage) pickups and a Toneman (ES-175) wiring harness for her and took her to Michael Karriker (if you need any repair or luthier work done and are in the Sacramento area look him up - he's a great guy and does a fantastic job). Michael switched out the pickups and electronics. The frets were so worn down, he did a refret. The fret board had so much wear on it, he ended up re-radiusing the fretboard from the first fret to the fifth fret from 9.5 to 7.25 (I actually prefer 7.25 radius) the rest of the neck stayed 9.5 so now it's a compound radiused neck. She looks and plays even better than before - the pickups sound fantastic and the tone and volume are very sensitive and useful in shaping her tone. Very happy with her now.

endial

Reaction score
Wow.
That's a beauty.
The compound radius he put on that will make it perform much better for its' design. You def want the flatter radius at the wider part of the neck. Guy knew what he was doing to fix that issue. Enjoy that old dog!

Latest Threads