1962 - 63 Hofner restoration

RICH/CANADA

Reaction score
This was my first project and was a big stepping stone toward building an LP so I thought I would post photos just for fun. I learned a lot from this restoration.
Who ever had it before me brush painted it white, the origional switch was moved, some pearl was missing from the head stock, and there were a few extra holes here and there.

first I stripped all the hardware off and went at it with the orbital sander and plenty of hand sanding.
photo015.jpg

_MG_0564.jpg

This is after two coats of grain filler " automotive spot putty "
Aftertwocoatsofgrainfillereallysmallr.jpg

photo011.jpg

018.jpg[/IMG]
photo007.jpg

After a couple coats of sealer
cc39643f.jpg

Starting black lacquer
11c32dec.jpg

oops sand threw!!!!
662785d2.jpg

OOPS ANOTHER SAND THRWE !!!
ff60e354.jpg

getting better
757fd0e4.jpg

After about 12 coats of clear and polished
457420Richard20Eld204820Medium.jpg

457420Richard20Eld204720Medium.jpg

457420Richard20Eld204920Medium.jpg

457420Richard20Eld204620Medium.jpg

_MG_0934.jpg

Amanda1of1-11.jpg

Amanda1of1-5.jpg

Amanda1of1-4.jpg

Amanda1of1-3.jpg

Amanda1of1.jpg

So there it is I replaced some parts including the pickups with Gibson Burstbuckers which I got from one of my standards that I switched to gold hardware. I put the three way switch back where it belonged and filled all of the holes. I think is was a great starting point. My next project was an 18 watt Plexi amp build that turned out very nice. So between the two projects it gave me the confidence to go ahead and build a Les Paul or two. And now I am here and part of a great comunity.

I hope you enjoy the post LOTS OF PICTURES well there was 31 pics but I had to remove 11

Rich

evolved_insanity

Reaction score
:applause:WOW! That is a beautiful guitar Rich. Outstanding save. It was a nice guitar with a bad finish before but you brought it over the top. Whats the story behind the guitar? Is it yours? Where did you get it? etc..etc.

Jon

RICH/CANADA

Reaction score
:applause:WOW! That is a beautiful guitar Rich. Outstanding save. It was a nice guitar with a bad finish before but you brought it over the top. Whats the story behind the guitar? Is it yours? Where did you get it? etc..etc.

Jon

Actually a buddy of mine owned it. And I traded him for a G&L Strat that I bought for him as a gift. He is a good friend and does so much for us here and asks nothing in return. We were at Long & Mcquade and he fell in love with this White G&L but he could never afford it. So I went back a couple days later and picked it up for $600.00. Then we were having a beer on my porch and I pulled it out and said I'll trade you for that Hofner. He was very happy and tearfull. So we traded and I went to work on the Hofner. He bought the Hofner for $200.00 and I put about $500 into it and it's worth about $1200.00 so it was a win win

Rich

Nay

Reaction score
That is a wonderful save!

I'd like to see the plexi build too!

Seamus

Reaction score
What a great story, and a beautiful restoration. :thumb:

Archer

Reaction score
Nice save! Very classy looking guitar :applause:.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
:shock:

Im impressed most with how nice the headstock turned out.. that must have been a bitch!

LPBurst

Reaction score
Damn that came out super nice. Real smart looking. I've got a thing for ES style guitars at the minute, definitely can see me getting a black 335 or something similar in the near future. Threads like this make me want want even more!! Great job :thumb:

RICH/CANADA

Reaction score
I would love to build a 335 one day. It looks really difficult.

Rich

RICH/CANADA

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was very surprised at how good the finish turned out. Nitro is very forgiving and I put probably 40 hours into sanding and polishing.

Rich

RICH/CANADA

Reaction score
Damn that came out super nice. Real smart looking. I've got a thing for ES style guitars at the minute, definitely can see me getting a black 335 or something similar in the near future. Threads like this make me want want even more!! Great job :thumb:

Once I was browsing some web sight looking at Gibson's and I came across a black Lucille with all gold bling ad it had a little touch of red striping. I was in love but the $5000.00 price tag would have got me a divorce.

I will have to build one one day.

Rich

Latest Threads