1961 Tremolux EL84 Amp Restoration

Six Gun

Reaction score
1961 Tremolux EL84 Amp Restoration

After many years of enjoying my 1961 18 Watt Tremolux I have decided to install
new Filter, Bias, Bypass Caps on this amp so I can hear what it's really like 100%.

The New Caps will be installed under the original Brown Paper Astron Filter Cap Covers using the single razor blade cut on the back-side of the cap. And the Dual
25uF/25uF/25V. caps I have a trick to make them look stock. I cut a 3/4" wooden dowel to the length of the orignal cap and I drill 2 holes through the dowel to slide the new Sprague Atom 25uF/50V. Caps inside and I have end caps for each side to
make them look factory. This way the inside still looks factory as well as the Filter Caps. The Single Astron m25uF/25v. Caps use a 1/2" wooden dowel.

I really want to hear the amp the way it's supposed to be. The caps now are weak
and I'm so nervous each time I play this beauty.

They only made about 180 of these amps with the 1x10 Tone Ring and special baffle design. The cool thing is you can remove the 10" tone ring and install a 12" speaker after you remove the tone ring. For those who do not know, the 10" tone ring installs in any 12" speaker hole, it has the 8 holes like any 12" speaker and the tone ring reduces the size to the 10" speaker. The special design baffle acts as a ported baffle system using the 10" or 12" speaker option.

The amp came with the Bugle Boy GZ23 (Phillips Miniwatt), Amperex Holland made EL84 tubes, and all Bugle Boy in the pre-amp. It has a lot of power for an EL84 amp and the GZ34 is a great rectifier in the desi8gn. It makes a killer compressed saturated sound. This is really an amp that should be cloned.

There was actually two EL84 Circuits. I discovered this because I own 2 of them, I own s/n 10 and s/n 163 or something. They added 2 treble bleed caps near the middle of the run. The first amps did not have the .001 yellow astron bleed caps.
Look at the side by side pics to see. I have some .001/600v. Yellow Astrons in stock to change the other amp if it sounds better. I have never really studied the 2 together.

I want to try a 10" Gold Celestion and the 12" Gold.

1961.Tremolux.EL-84.tubes.jpg

two-el84-tremolux-amps.jpg

Tremolux-EL-84.jpg

See how Fender made some Aluminum Metal EL84 tube supports. They keep the EL84 tubes from getting bent. Fiberglass Hat Retainers may work along with these.

All the Transformers have the same numbers (Week-Year) as they only made one run of transformers.

On the speaker, notice how the 2x3 wood on the front of the Baffle allow the cab to vent or port out the front of the front baffle. There are actually 2 baffles in this cab design. It's pretty cool, but much more expensive in labor making all of them like this.

tone-ring-ad2.jpg

el84-tube-brackets.jpg

On the speaker, notice how the 2x3 wood on the front of the Baffle allow the cab to vent or port out the front of the front baffle. There are actually 2 baffles in this cab design. It's more expensive in labor making all of the Cabs like this.

You can see how using a 12" speaker will still allow the cab to port or breathe.

79927-pJqcl5ejk5.km5yVmqU-tone_ring_cab_baffle.jpg

grohlstheman

Reaction score
Cool! I'm just getting into the parts and components of amps in the hope of one day being able to escalate my musicianship by knowing my gear through and through...

Gridlock

Reaction score
Six Gun you have some amazing gear and knowledge.

Case24

Reaction score
Stunning. :wow:

As Gridlock said, I always enjoy your posts of your amp collection. You should open a museum. :applause:

I have a matched pair of Amperex Holland EL84 tubes stored away. I believe they are from 1958 but I'll have to double check.

Six Gun

Reaction score
Thanks you guys,

Another thing I wanted to point out is the front faceplates have the No-Numbered Input Jacks, like the early Deluxe Reverb Amps. When Fender switched to the 6L6GC Tremolux 2x10 amps they painted the Input numbers over the jacks.

You can see the 2 added treble bleed Yellow Astron .001/600v caps to the right of the 25uF/25uF/25v. caps in the dual chassis pic.

Another change was Fender put the power cord hole on the bottom of the chassis, not the rear. On the 6L6GC Tremolux amps they put the hole in the rear for the cords.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You are so going to have Soultramp in here any second. :D

No sooner said, than done.

Six Gun, you are the Smithsonian of vintage amps! What an outstanding amplifier! My all time favorite. I wouldn't use either amp much. There's a very high probability you'll cook them due to Fender's design flaw. As you well know, that's why there's only 200(ish) of them.

You don't have to cut the Filter caps. Just unroll the fold on the ground end of the cap. From there you can push out the canister. Cut open the canister and gut it. Re-stuff with new caps. No doubt, you already know all this. I have a series of pics from when I did my Bassman. Let me know if you'd like to see them.

Six Gun

Reaction score
Hey Now,
I only have a couple amps.

The tremolo amp design is just fine, it's the distortion Leo did not like.
Back then they were looking for clean tones.

Duane24

Reaction score
Rarest amp fender ever made. Played one a few years back, beautiful amp, wish I owned one!

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Amazing!!! I have a strong passion for old Fenders and love seeing them in good working order and playable!

I haven't seen too many of these around. I know Steve Wariner has one.

I've never known Fender to use anything but 6L6s, 6VGs, etc. Is there any other old Fender that runs on EL tubes?

Latest Threads