1961(?) ... Make that a 1963 Melody Maker

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend Dave from work brought in his MM. Fantastic musician with some of the best contemporary instrumental music I've heard. I've been begging him to start a youtube channel and a Patreon account because he's that good. Not that being an attorney is a bad gig, but it is a huge waste of genuine talent.

The guitar is in great shape. I'm estimating from the serial # it's an early '61 model. He paid $100 for it back in the day. Somewhere along the line the original case went missing.

Missing the switch tip but other than that it's in very good condition. Nice rounded neck profile, probably < .90 @ first fret. Obviously a replacement bridge ... I can't remember if he said he has the original. Lots of life left in those frets.

Next week I'll be giving it a set up and trying it out. Can't wait.

What kind of pups are those?

mm1.jpg

mm2.jpg

mm3.jpg

Last edited:

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pickups are single coils, unique to MMs. Seymour Duncan's custom shop makes reissues and P-90 or humbucker retrofits for the original MMs.

A lot of owners replaced those pickups by altering the guards and routing the bodies. It's nice to see one that has the originals.

The bridge can be replaced with an aged MojoAxe compensated wraptail, which is what I would do if the original is gone.

mdubya

Reaction score
I bet you will dig the Melody Maker single coils. :thumb:

Lollar has P-90 options, if you must, but I'd leave it be, if possible.

Cool MM!

ARandall

Reaction score
Don't change out anything. These 2 pickup MM models are incredible. For a short while I was on the lookout for one, as it would have been a significantly easier LH conversion target.
There are a few vids out there on those pickups - they are surprising actually. More powerful than a strat singlecoil, but very expressive.

Plus you have all the vintage wood + finish goodness that lets you know you have a great piece of guitarmaking history.

judson

Reaction score
6265MM.jpg

62 and a 65 i bought each as a husk with neck repairs

threw a bunch of parts i had around on them ..

the 62 has a Lollar but i have picked up parts along the way recently to put them back to as stock as I want maybe but the 62 kicks ass with the Lollar.....fun guitars

you can pick them up at pretty reasonable prices ....i picked up 2 original pickups that i might put in the 65 and a 65 guard as well plus a trem...one of these days i will get to it maybe

the 65 tick body just looks weird....i actually thought of shaving it but then im just gonna leave it alone and play it...

Latest Threads