1961 Gibson SG refin Pelham Blue

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
1961 Gibson SG -- Ebay

This seems to have a few issues over and above the refinish. The pickups show no evidence of being early patent sticker models. Decals are nearly completely gone, and there is no evidence of tool marks on the brackets. Pickup covers are way too shiny. Fretboard inlays appear to be in terrible condition. Frets are new and too big for grandpa's eyes. This year's model is notorious for breaks at the neck heel, and the refin could be hiding such damage.

Funkee

Reaction score
FYI... here's a video demo where they go over the details of that guitar... might be worth checking out:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
The refinish would also have been needed to cover the holes left by removal of the side pull trem. Those side pulls are notorious for breakage of the lower part of the arm, which is a casting.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I know this because I own a one owner 61 SG LP standard with the side pull trem. A few years back, the lower trem arm snapped. I was lucky to find a replacement unit on eBay that didn’t require mortgaging our home! It only lacked the trem cover, which I did not need. Mine was fine. I lucked out, as I haven‘t seen seen one of those terms for sale since. So my 61 is restored to original, even though that side pull is musically worthless IMHO. These guitars are fragile in a number of ways. It is impossible to find one that hasn’t had replacements/repairs. Of course. After almost 60 years, it needed a full refret. Also, the tuner keys went to slop, and I had to replace the tuners with exact replicas. The ABR bridge crapped out, and I replaced it with exact replicas. And I have retained all original parts. Frankly, I have better player’s guitars bought new for well under $1K.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Also of note is the fact that the neck heel joint is not smooth like a 61. Rather, it is stepped like a 63 or something else. Also the ebony block in back of the trrem is indicateive of a 63

Last edited:

Latest Threads