1961 Fender Stratocaster owned by Vic Flick

Actinic

Reaction score
Legendary studio musician Vic Flick was shown on Pawn Stars this evening. He sold his cherished 1961 Fender Stratocaster for $55,000. As soon as the segment of the show is downloaded to Youtube, please post it here for the record.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsHt03NQahw"]Vic Flick at the Cannery - YouTube[/ame]

Vic provided the dealer with a list of songs he performed during his career. The show hinted that the James Bond theme (Dr. No) may have been played on this guitar. Not true according to this interview:

http://blogcritics.org/interview-axeman-vic-flick-tells-why1/

The timing on that TV show account would have been tight, given the fact that Dr. No was released in 1962. The above interview also indicates that Vic's first Strat was stolen, and this is his replacement. The soundtrack of A Hard Day's Night probably features this (2nd) Strat.

A great audio interview on Flick's very extensive work/career is featured on Youtube.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRkSit5Rkqo[/ame]

Surely this guitar has more significance in music history than Mary Ford's SG, which eventually re-sold for over $100K. Expect to see the guitar up on Ebay by Xmas. That's my guess. :naughty:

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
I watched that last night, the guy had quite the career. I liked when he talked about giving Jimmy Page lessons. I agree, historically that would seem to be a desirable guitar. And it was in very good shape.

njelevation06

Reaction score
I saw this last night as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that this segment was staged. Unless Flick was strung out in Vegas and desperate for cash (clearly not the case), why would he possibly sell his guitar at a pawn shop? For starters, I doubt that he would want to lose this guitar. If he did, I'd have to imagine that he would sell through a reputable dealer with connections to collectors. Rick had no clue who he was, and had to call in his guitar expert to come down and vouch for Flick and the authenticity of the guitar.

pmfan

Reaction score
Legendary studio musician Vic Flick was shown on Pawn Stars this evening. He sold his cherished 1961 Fender Stratocaster for $55,000. As soon as the segment of the show is downloaded to Youtube, please post it here for the record.

Vic Flick at the Cannery - YouTube

Vic provided the dealer with a list of songs he performed during his career. The show hinted that the James Bond theme (Dr. No) may have been played on this guitar. Not true according to this interview:

Interview: Axeman Vic Flick Tells Why He’s Selling the Guitar That Made “The James Bond Theme” Famous | Blogcritics

The timing on that TV show account would have been tight, given the fact that Dr. No was released in 1962. The above interview also indicates that Vic's first Strat was stolen, and this is his replacement. The soundtrack of A Hard Day's Night probably features this (2nd) Strat.

A great audio interview on Flick's very extensive work/career is featured on Youtube.

Vic Flick Interview Part Two - YouTube

Surely this guitar has more significance in music history than Mary Ford's SG, which eventually re-sold for over $100K. Expect to see the guitar up on Ebay by Xmas. That's my guess. :naughty:

He did not say it was used on Dr. No. I'm pretty sure he said it was used on Goldfinger (in which he also plays the theme).

I don't think he would have lied about it in making a sale on one of the most watched shows on American TV. But this guitar is obviously a gem from a great and famous player.

As to the price, Rick has to make a profit. He knows it's worth more than $55K. But if Flick auctioned it, he would have to pay auction fees. Flick thought he might only get $30K for it. Who couldn't use $55K in $100 bills on occasion. Even to Vic Flick that's a nice amount.

trussart23

Reaction score
I loved the "original" Hotrails bridge pickup! Bwahahaha! Who's the "expert" that verified that?

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeuhXwvb3V8]Vic Flick Performs the James Bond Theme - YouTube[/ame]

mbowen

Premium Member
Reaction score
Great player and guitar ,thanks Mike B.

ElfDUde

Reaction score
I know, I can't believe that wasn't pointed out by Jesse the guitar expert.:hmm:
It probably was, but was edited out later. Obviously they spent a lot of time filming that segment and edited it down to just a few minutes.

I really enjoyed watching this episode. As soon as it was over I had to pull out the HELP DVD and watch the segment where he plays the guitar during the Ringo section of the movie.

Greg's Guitars

Reaction score
hotrail jumped out right off the bat, then doing a quick search several of his "007" guitars have surfaced....and a Texas auction sold a white strat with mint pickguard and original pickups as his 007 strat for 25K....hmmmmmmm

Tazz3

Reaction score
Thats a nice guitar he should have kept it

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vic Flick brought in his 1961 Fender Stratocaster guitar to Pawn shop owner Rick Harrison, who, after consulting Jesse Amoroso, settled on a price of $55,000 for the guitar. The guitar sold at auction in 2014 for $25,000.

OUCH!

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vic Flick brought in his 1961 Fender Stratocaster guitar to Pawn shop owner Rick Harrison, who, after consulting Jesse Amoroso, settled on a price of $55,000 for the guitar. The guitar sold at auction in 2014 for $25,000.

OUCH!
Richard Harrison, et al, vs. Jesse Amoroso :facepalm:

Latest Threads