1960 Reissue “PG 129” Lightly Figured Les Paul

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok!!! So I played one of these at a local GC a week ago.....and I can’t believe how amazing this particular example was. Never played such an alive instrument. Played a bunch of nice reissues lately and this one was just beyond. It’s haunting me.
Seems to be a “good value” (Hahahaha) for a custom shop Les Paul....what’s the deal?? Seems to have most of the current and usual historic specs....but I noticed that on neck description it says “set-in” neck joint...not specifically “long-tenon”. Can anyone clarify this for me? I’ll reiterate...this particular example was THE best sounding guitar I’ve ever heard or played, period. But I’ve never paid anything even remotely close to $4-$5k for a guitar...barely even half that!!! So...just curious. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If its a 14 than yes. Long tenon started in 2013
Really?!?! Cool!!! I know they definitely went back to 1-piece rosewood boards....just wasn’t sure about the long tenon. This guitar...just wow.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Really?!?! Cool!!! I know they definitely went back to 1-piece rosewood boards....just wasn’t sure about the long tenon. This guitar...just wow.
If it is a 2015 or 16 you may want to pop the neck pickup. There were lots of crazy things that were going on with a budget Reissue line. I believe the serial #'s started with CS. I can remember off the top of my head. So many threads ago.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If it is a 2015 or 16 you may want to pop the neck pickup. There were lots of crazy things that were going on with a budget Reissue line. I believe the serial #'s started with CS. I can remember off the top of my head. So many threads ago.
Hmmmm that’s true. It is not a “True Historic”...
This serial starts with a G

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm that’s true. It is not a “True Historic”...
This serial starts with a G
Thats a Guitar Center edition of an R0 called a G0 (for Guitar Center)

I'm not very well versed in them although the 2 I played were quite nice. But I think the same specs apply to regular R0's.

There is a thread dedicated to them here.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thats a Guitar Center edition of an R0 called a G0 (for Guitar Center)

I'm not very well versed in them although the 2 I played were quite nice. But I think the same specs apply to regular R0's.

Thanks man!!!
I need to square away a truck purchase soon....then I think I’m gonna pull a power play on it haha!!! Funny, usually the idea of $2k and over for a guitar makes me roll my eyes....but I guess I just hadn’t really played many guitars that spoke to me enough.
I’ll check this post thank you!
There is a thread dedicated to them here.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
G0's are usually cheaper than R0's
Just keep that in mind.
Under $3K

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
Seems to have most of the current and usual historic specs....but I noticed that on neck description it says “set-in” neck joint...not specifically “long-tenon”.
It also says that it has Chrome hardware, which is doubtful. I don't know much about this specific run, but unless there is something different about the serial numbers on these, it seems to have been made in 2018.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
That has the current style COA, so as @bossaddict said above, it's probably a 2018.

A few things to know OP....first, I wouldn't buy a fire extinguisher from GC if I self combusted in the store. Second, did you ask THEM what the deal was with the guitar? Most people there don't know a Historic from a cigar box guitar, but, I'm curious as to why you didn't ask them about it....or if you did and they didn't know (which wouldn't surprise me in the least). Finally, that thing is WAAAYYYY over priced.....as in you shouldn't pay more than 3k to $3500 if you just HAD to have it. Contact some of our sponsors here.....for a bit more than they are asking for a GC run, you could have a 19 60th R9. Good luck!

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Has it occurred to you that it was probably that particular guitar, not the model itself, that was special?
Oh abbbbbsolutely!!!! Totally. I’ve played a couple new R8’s and R9’s that didn’t have the energy that this guitar has for me. Magical particular guitar. If this one was to sell.....I don’t know if I’d necessarily “have to” have them find me another. We would both mutually be disappointed if I had to cancel my order if and when the replacement didn’t have the same affect Hahaha....

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That has the current style COA, so as @bossaddict said above, it's probably a 2018.

A few things to know OP....first, I wouldn't buy a fire extinguisher from GC if I self combusted in the store. Second, did you ask THEM what the deal was with the guitar? Most people there don't know a Historic from a cigar box guitar, but, I'm curious as to why you didn't ask them about it....or if you did and they didn't know (which wouldn't surprise me in the least). Finally, that thing is WAAAYYYY over priced.....as in you shouldn't pay more than 3k to $3500 if you just HAD to have it. Contact some of our sponsors here.....for a bit more than they are asking for a GC run, you could have a 19 60th R9. Good luck!
Hahahahaha no GC for you!!!
No....they knew nothing about the guitar at all. Not even close! I honestly didn’t ask anymore questions because I didn’t really go there looking to even play anything not to mention fall for something like that. I am in no position to buy something like this in a practical sense, but if the stars align over the next few weeks potentially I will get to that point.
Annnnnd I have a Gear Card with a very good limit.....and they have 0% for 48 months hahaha ;)
Now why is this one so overpriced?? I honestly am no expert....
An R9 I know would be sick, But I would really have to get my hands on one and it would have to play and sound like this one dead, and the neck would have to be special like this one too for my personal taste.
And what are we talking with a little bit more $? Like $100??? Cuz I’m certainly not looking to be near the $5k territory. No way!!!
Thanks

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hahahahaha no GC for you!!!
No....they knew nothing about the guitar at all. Not even close! I honestly didn’t ask anymore questions because I didn’t really go there looking to even play anything not to mention fall for something like that. I am in no position to buy something like this in a practical sense, but if the stars align over the next few weeks potentially I will get to that point.
Annnnnd I have a Gear Card with a very good limit.....and they have 0% for 48 months hahaha ;)
Now why is this one so overpriced?? I honestly am no expert....
An R9 I know would be sick, But I would really have to get my hands on one and it would have to play and sound like this one dead, and the neck would have to be special like this one too for my personal taste.
And what are we talking with a little bit more $? Like $100??? Cuz I’m certainly not looking to be near the $5k territory. No way!!!
Thanks
Well that one is near 5k by the time you get out the door with tax. Hey, if you love it, go for it....doesn’t matter what you pay if you love it.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well that one is near 5k by the time you get out the door with tax. Hey, if you love it, go for it....doesn’t matter what you pay if you love it.
Oh yeah I hear ya....but I do want to make an offer of course. I can’t stomach the current asking price no matter what.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ll keep ya’ll updated if I make a move on it or not..... if it sells before I get to it or it doesn’t seem like they’re willing to do anything pricewise on that particular one or others out there, I might pursue a regular used Plaintop G0.