1960 project SG

Alvinfan

Reaction score
I know it is not a " Kevin James kind of deal " but paying 2,5 K means I can have a graet playing SG from the first year of production for a Historic price ( and the $ is low at the moment :)).
I know I should have let you expert guys check it out first, but I would not risk it to slip away, so I took the chance. I will keep you updated as the restauration process begins.
I have a weakness for first year of production guitars, so it will look great beside my ´54 Strat hardtail and my ´52 all gold Les Paul

Peace & Love & SGreetings to all !

Ebay description :

This is an original 1960 Gibson Les Paul Standard body.
Earliest version with the inked serial number.
Serial 0 8877
This body is 100% original finish, frets, nut, EVERYTHING.
As you can see it had a "Not so pro" heel Epoxy repair.
The guitar's 2nd owner (since 1964) told us it was leaning against an amp and fell over...
Repair is ROCK SOLID.
Actually, it's probably stronger now than before it was broken...
Original frets in excellent condition.Neck is straight and the truss rod works fine.
No other repairs or cracks on this guitar.
Just the heel.

This could be a fun project!

bodyk.jpg

body2m.jpg

body8pp.jpg

body3p.jpg

body4r.jpg

body6.jpg

body7.jpg

body10r.jpg

body5e.jpg

jworle01

Reaction score
Well I hope that repair lasts forever. I saw this one on the bay and thought that epoxy is going to be something no one wants to deal with in the future. However It could be doweled as to likely never need a repair in the future. I would be interested in what some of the experts think. However, this is a nice looking specimen especially with the original finish. Congrats! I can't wait to see it in full dress.

BadBeat78

Reaction score
Damn, this one looks really hot!
Its always important to me that the shaping is still in good condition.
If i had the money i would buy it!
I love those project guitars.
Nothing more fun to get those back to life!

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd clean it up but leave the finish alone. Sweet deal.

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think I bought the original poker chip from that same guitar for my 1960 LP Special.

fletch

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Nice find, Alv'!!

Looking forward to seeing the "First year production" family photo!:thumb:

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Alvin, looks like you have a nice little project. I'll be watching this one to see how it turn out :)

SoloDallas

Reaction score
Nice score! (read your pm).
Looks beautiful. I'd only put replica parts on it to begin with. Cheaper and qualitative, anyways (RS Guitar works tonepros come to mind).

Alvinfan

Reaction score
Since the seller had some of the original plastic to this guitar, I thought she deserved it, so I got guard, backplate, tenon cover, truss cover and ryt/treb ring. Tuners, pick ups, pots and M69 will be repro. I must also admit that I plan on putting aged TOM & stop on it. I had a ´61 once and loved the guitar but did not like the sideway vib. at all.
I will let you know when she is ready to riff :thumb:

Sgt.Pepper

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of 1961 SGs for years and had no problems at all with the sideways vibrola. My friend Dan suggested putting some brass tubes in with the springs which worked perfectly and fixed it rock solid. With those early ones, the neck angle is low so you won't be able to get a good downwards angle with a stop tailpiece, unless you get an original thin 1953/4 one and screw it right down to the body. I've come across this before where they've drilled the holes already to find this out then put the original vibrola back on, but the holes are always there! If you're dead set on not having a sideways trem (even one that has been blocked) you could always do a neck reset (it's been broken already), or sell the guitar on and get a later version.

Alvinfan

Reaction score
Sgt Pepper : Thanks for the info ! I was not aware of that and will have it in mind.

When are you expecting delivery on it?

Payment should clear in 4-5 days from now and then a week more for shipping and customs. I will keep you posted.

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sgt Pepper : Thanks for the info ! I was not aware of that and will have it in mind.

Payment should clear in 4-5 days from now and then a week more for shipping and customs. I will keep you posted.

Cool, looking forward to seeing this one come together. I just pulled the trigger on another one yesterday. I'll have another NGD thread in about a week :naughty:

Latest Threads