1960 Les Paul Jr. and Fair Pricing (Updated Pics)

StSGLPJ

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings,
My friend's uncle passed away a few years ago and left him his Gibson. He said it's a Les Paul Jr but I'm not sure of the model. I keep telling him to have it restored and keep it but he seems to prefer to sell it.

I'm hoping somebody might be able to help with the following:
1) What kind of Les Paul Jr it is?
2) What is a fair price for me to offer him?
3) What would it cost to restore something like this to original condition?

Will the value to equal or greater than the value paid to buy and restore? I'm not planning on selling it. I would likely keep it as part of my collection that will somebody go to my sons.

Any help that somebody can provide is appreciated.

Last edited:

cherrick

Reaction score
Oh boy. Lucky you. What ever is in your mind, remove even the consideration of a refin. A refin would devastate the value of this guitar, which is absolutely gob-smackingly wonderful aside from the bent tuner.

Here is what I suggest: buy replacement tuners, either 3-on-a-plate with "plastic" oval knobs or 3+3 Kluson with keystone knobs or 3+3 Grovers and (important) put the original tuners in the case or in a drawer to convey with the guitar if you ever sell it, which it appears you will not. And by "replace" I mean that whatever you buy, insist that no drilling of the tuner holes be needed nor bushings be needed. If the replacements are not a precise fit, don't buy them.

I would also suggest a really quality set up.

That is one wonderful guitar. Fix the tuner issue and leave it alone and play the heck out of it.

StSGLPJ

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would you offer for somethig like this? I think the tunes feel rough. Maybe I’ll just replace those as the crew said.

StSGLPJ

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Restore? What's to restore? I'd fix that bent tuner and that's about it.
should I look for year specific tuners? Also - what would you offer for something like this?

StSGLPJ

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh boy. Lucky you. What ever is in your mind, remove even the consideration of a refin. A refin would devastate the value of this guitar, which is absolutely gob-smackingly wonderful aside from the bent tuner.

Here is what I suggest: buy replacement tuners, either 3-on-a-plate with "plastic" oval knobs or 3+3 Kluson with keystone knobs or 3+3 Grovers and (important) put the original tuners in the case or in a drawer to convey with the guitar if you ever sell it, which it appears you will not. And by "replace" I mean that whatever you buy, insist that no drilling of the tuner holes be needed nor bushings be needed. If the replacements are not a precise fit, don't buy them.

I would also suggest a really quality set up.

That is one wonderful guitar. Fix the tuner issue and leave it alone and play the heck out of it.
Also - is it ok to clean the pots and clean up if they’re a bit crackley? Also - is it ok to clean up the wood?

Dee Bone

Reaction score
Looks to be a 1960 Les Paul Jr. Get it serviced by the most reputable and knowledgeable vintage guitar shop in your state. Leave it as original as possible to attain value and authenticity. Replace anything with period correct parts as well. You can de-oxidize the pots to free them up and get them hopefully working up to par. Nice score BTW

LCPG282

Reaction score
You're lucky indeed! It's a 1960 Les Paul Junior.
Don't change anything but the tuners (keeping the original ones for an eventual resale) and the pots knobs which are not genuine (you can easily find good copies of the original ones.)
For the amount you could offer, it's up to you, but here are the current selling prices on Reverb & Ebay:

Dee Bone

Reaction score
I’ll post the 2020 values for this once I arrive at my flat.

StSGLPJ

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks to be a 1960 Les Paul Jr. Get it serviced by the most reputable and knowledgeable vintage guitar shop in your state. Leave it as original as possible to attain value and authenticity. Replace anything with period correct parts as well. You can de-oxidize the pots to free them up and get them hopefully working up to par. Nice score BTW
Still not sure what to offer for it. Want to give a fair price.

StSGLPJ

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing it’s a double cutaway. Does that seem correct? Thanks again for the reply.

StSGLPJ

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That will be my next step. Finding a tech around PA.

StSGLPJ

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for posting. Looking at the pics, would you put this one in the $4500 range? Also - this has not been cleaned up at all. Maybe I can get the value into the $5000 range?

Latest Threads