1960 Les Paul’s

Mats A

Reaction score
I saw Joe Bonamassa talking about one of his 1960 Les Pauls. He said the 1960’s had a little shorter neck tenon wich made them brighter punchier. I thought the 1960’s had the same long neck tenon as the 1958-59 Bursts.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know, but I have assumed that the tenon length is the same too.
I'm not arguing with Bonamassa on vintage Gibsons though!

From what I've read/heard it is the shorter magnets Gibson started using in 1960, that makes the sound more focused/punchier.

Looking forward to replies from some knowing members here :)

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless Joe meant late ‘60s.... without knowing which guitar specifically he’s was talking about..... I couldn’t say.

Because ‘60s as in 1960 specifically or ‘60s as in era are two different animals.

Though personally I think Joe is high on smelling his own farts anyways.... every Les Paul can sound different with the exact same build.... they can’t be generalized by a small piece of insignificant wood.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read that tenon lengths were not consistent in the 1960 models. Don't know if that is true. Do some searches. There have been discussions here and at that other forum on this topic

I don’t think they were consistent throughout the ‘50s either.... I have seen some have a large smile and some with the slightest of a gap.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
So now we're down to "a little shorter tenon" = "brighter, punchier".

well-ok.jpg

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I’m noob! But!!! My R0, is punchier and more spanky and my two R9’s. Not sure why. One off, or pickups or???

lwchafin

Reaction score
Hmmm. I could waste a day looking for an answer to this. Or not. Don’t own a 50s or 60s LP so while it might be interesting (and it would) I’ll leave this to you guys.

zdoggie

Reaction score
there is nothing consistent in gibson guitars they all sound different ,play different if you get one you like I suggest you hang on to it .I agree with mudface

zdog

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I’m noob! But!!! My R0, is punchier and more spanky and my two R9’s. Not sure why. One off, or pickups or???

Maybe because it's a different guitar.
I've heard of that.
Different guitars, different tones.
The World is just like that.
Complicated.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait! I thought we all agreed this was because the dot was over the "I" in the Gibson logo or not?!

You'd have to switch tenons and dots in full possible combinations to find out.
But then, the manipulations of those elements could/would affect their intrinsic nature
so the tests themselves would be worthless.

GorgeousVainArabianwildcat-max-1mb.gif

burstone

Reaction score
Shorter tenon may contribute, but steeper neck angle on the later '60 bursts may have more to do with punchier, snappier tone and maybe the skinnier neck too as mentioned above. On real bursts, replicas, and Historics I've owned or played, the ones with shallower angle felt slinkier and sounded "browner" and warmer vs. the ones with steeper angle felt tighter and sounded brighter, punchier and snappier. YMMV...

TM1

Reaction score
You mean this one?

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 51

Mats A

Reaction score
Joe is talking about one of his Bursts from 1960. He talks like the Bursts from 1960 had a little smaller neck tenon in general.
watch from 20.00 min.

Latest Threads