1960 Gibson Les Paul DC Special TV Finish

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Up for sale is a 1960 Les Paul DC Special - This is not a collectors grade guitar as it has been refinished, however there have never been any breaks, and it retains most all of its original parts. When I bought this guitar in 2004, its finish was had been stripped down to bare wood. The good new was, this made it obvious that there had never been any breaks or repairs made to the wood, so it was an excellent candidate for restoration.

I'm not usually a fan of long-winded classified ad descriptions, however in the case of this guitar, I feel its better to describe everything I know about the guitar so that the new owner knows exactly what he's getting. First of all, here's an explanation of the guitar’s condition as it was when I acquired it:

- I purchased the guitar from Folkway Music in Canada in 2004.
- Folkway acquired it from the original owner who said he stripped the finish in the mid-1960’s for a more natural look. He didn't apply a new finish, so it spent the next 40 years as bare mahogany The original TV finish was still intact within the pickup and control cavities.
- The good news is that with the finish being gone, it was easy to see that there were no breaks or repairs.
- The original wraparound bridge was gone, and it had Grovers installed, but the pickups, pots, caps, toggle switch, harness, jack, knobs, pointers, screws , and studs were all original.
- The serial number was lost when the finish was removed. I asked Folkway if by chance the original owner might have a record of the number, and their response was that the owner probably didn’t remember much of anything from the 1960’s, let alone the serial number of this guitar.
- The headstock face had been sanded down to the mahogany, so the holly veneer and the “Gibson” pearl inlay was gone.
- The frets had been filed and were very low.
- All parts on the guitar were original with the exception of the bridge, the toggle switch washer, and added Grover tuners.

In January 2005, I sent the guitar to Roy at RS Guitarworks for restoration and to have a TV finish applied. Prior to refinishing the guitar, Roy made several repairs:

- The Grover’d holes were plugged and re-drilled for Kluson strip tuners.
- A holly veneer with a pearl Gibson inlay was applied to the face of the headstock.
- It was re-fretted with Jumbo frets
- I asked for an aged TV finish that was as close as possible to the original finish that was still visible within the cavities. Roy did a top-notch job
- Since the original serial number was lost, I suggested that the serial number 0 1960 be inked onto the headstock, reflecting the model year. Roy proposed an alternative; a friend of his owned the carcass of a 1960 TV Special that had been destroyed beyond the possibility of restoration. Its serial number was 0 2295. He said that since this was a number that was originally applied to a TV Special, it would be a better number to use rather than a made-up number which might possibly be shared with another guitar floating out there in the world. This made sense and I agreed it was a good idea.
- I received the guitar April 2005 and I was very happy with the results. The finish is tastefully aged to look appropriate for the age of the guitar.

Other comments:
- The fretwork is excellent. This is a very nice playing Les Paul.
- The neck thickness measures .808” at the first fret, and .882” at the 12th
- All parts on the guitar are original except for; Kluson Reissue 3-on-a-plate tuners, the nut, the bridge (MojoAxe compensated wraparound), the switch washer, and the strap buttons.
- The P90's sound great. The bridge pickup measures 8.8K and the neck is 8.0K.
- The pots are date coded 1346027 (27th week of 1960)
- The weight is 7.26 lbs.
- The guitar will ship in a brand new generic Les Paul case

$4500 shipped within the 48 states. Here's you chance to get a real deal Special made of old growth mahogany, Brazilian Rosewood, with vintage P90s, and all original electronics, all at a price that's not much more than that of a Reissue model..

No international shipping. Not interested in trades.

PM or contact Dan at dynasonic@msn.com

(click photos to enlarge)

Last edited:

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Really nice guitar, I would much rather have that then a historic—GLWS!! But what impressed me most is your photography skills. You always have excellent pictures. I have a DSLR and some nice lenses, but can’t seem to get them to look as good as yours.

larryguitar

Reaction score
Gorgeous...just gorgeous. The relicing of the restored finish is absolutely one of the most tasteful I've ever seen...

Larry

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man! You’re killing me. That’s awesome.

voices

Reaction score
man they did an outstanding job on that one! i hate that you have to get rid of it. its a keeper!

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For a price that is not much higher than a Reissue, here’s your chance at the real deal. Old growth Honduran Mahogany, Brazilian Rosewood, hide glue, original P90s, Pots, caps, and harness....

Latest Threads