1960 es-335

alk-3

Reaction score
That thing is drop dead gorgeous. My god. What kind of pups are in there? Don't think we established that.
We ended up with a set of Wizz pickups in this one. They sounded great. Suited the guitar every well.

Sharky

Reaction score
veeeery nice guitar! I would really love to own a vintage cherry one. Which years are affordable but have PAFs though?

Big Red

Reaction score
We ended up with a set of Wizz pickups in this one. They sounded great. Suited the guitar every well.
Any idea why the pickups and electronics were yanked in the first place, or where they ended up? Just curious, it's a shame when these great guitars have their heart and soul removed. I'm sure it sounds great with the new pickups, but a 59/60 335 deserves a set of PAFs.

alk-3

Reaction score
Any idea why the pickups and electronics were yanked in the first place, or where they ended up? Just curious, it's a shame when these great guitars have their heart and soul removed. I'm sure it sounds great with the new pickups, but a 59/60 335 deserves a set of PAFs.
No idea where they ended up. This guitar was a one owner guitar (before the current owner) the old guy that bought it new just had some work done on it over the years when something went wrong. My guess is the pickups weren't to his liking at one point, and he asked his local guitar shop to swap them out. back then no one paid much attention to the original parts really, so if they went performing as the player wanted, they got swapped out.
The current owner is indeed looking for some original parts to restore it back to original, but is in no hurry.

Sharky

Reaction score
back then no one paid much attention to the original parts really, so if they went performing as the player wanted, they got swapped out.
this i can tell you. I hung out at two local guitar stores in the 1970s al lot and both were doing a lot of vintage stuff. Vintage in these days were 20 year old guitars and customers often came in saying that they really dislike the PAF sound and they want some Di Marzios or Seymor Duncans built in. Original PUPS were taken out and put somewhere, nobody really cared.

Lots of additinal holes, routings, electronics were done in these days.

Big Red

Reaction score
No idea where they ended up. This guitar was a one owner guitar (before the current owner) the old guy that bought it new just had some work done on it over the years when something went wrong. My guess is the pickups weren't to his liking at one point, and he asked his local guitar shop to swap them out. back then no one paid much attention to the original parts really, so if they went performing as the player wanted, they got swapped out.
The current owner is indeed looking for some original parts to restore it back to original, but is in no hurry.
Yeah, back in the day maybe just one pickup failed or was faulty and the guy just said "put in a new pair" without having the knowldedge that the internet brings to millions nowadays. Maybe he thought he'd get the job done right and just renew the harness while he was at it. I shudder at the possible scenario of a disreputable tech. removing a set of doublw whites or zebras, plus the wiring, and charging an innocent party for the service. Obviously, this is just an extreme worst story scenario. :cool:

Sharky

Reaction score
Yeah, back in the day maybe just one pickup failed or was faulty and the guy just said "put in a new pair" without having the knowldedge that the internet brings to millions nowadays. Maybe he thought he'd get the job done right and just renew the harness while he was at it. I shudder at the possible scenario of a disreputable tech. removing a set of doublw whites or zebras, plus the wiring, and charging an innocent party for the service. Obviously, this is just an extreme worst story scenario. :cool:
this is the problem with every collectible item as classic cars for example. In the 60s and 70s, those were all day drivers and if something broke, it was replaced and in the best case for the owner, upgraded by a not OEM part which was better, lasted longer, looked better or whatever reasons to buy it. Now this car became a desirable item over the years but who knew that the days it was built?

We have a lot of cars from the 70s and 80s here in Germany that are becoming classical cars at the moment and if it is over 30 years of age, the gvt. gives you tax advantages if it's conservation is of public interest, maybe as a industrial heritage or so. But it is hard to find all original cars, matching numbers and so on. Those are priceless. The modified examples only cost a fracture and will not be advantaged by tax reduction. On the contrary they will rather charge you more for excessive emissions, are not aloud to drive into larger cities and so on.

It's all that easy but quite a science on the other hand. I would really love to have a classic car as there are many restoring companies around where i live and i visit local shows monthly. But up to now i did not dare to buy one because i am too much of an amateur

CDaughtry

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
GREAT pics! Those tuners look like they'd disintegrate in your hands!:wow:

Curlymaple

Reaction score
^^ looks like FatBoy tips/tuners to me; very nice guitar though.

Stoj

Reaction score
Beautiful looking 335 - Thanks for sharing :cheers:

w.izzy

Reaction score
I think you just build this baby and are making us think for a while it's a 1960

alk-3

Reaction score
Those tuners are not actually factory tuners.
The originals were falling part completely, so I purchased a new set of klusons and removed the tips from them. Then I made very detailed silicone molds of the originals. I used a urethane resin to cast replica parts in the silicone mold.

The silicone mold can only make so many parts before the detail is lost, so I took the ones I made, and made ANOTHER, larger mold out of them and ended up with a large enough mold to make many dozens at a time. They are so close that you can literally not see a different. They even have deep fissures in them just like the originals.

I made several shades of them, but these ones match the crumbly buttons that came off the originals. The one give-away is that two of them are from the same mold because we only had five surviving originals.. oh, and they don't crumble either :)

The biggest issue is that many of them come out with bubbles in the casting, and cannot be used.

These pictures are of a lighter shade.

treatb

Reaction score
GREAT GREAT GREAT PHOTOS!, THANKS FOR THE SHARE. REMARKABLE HOW THE KLUSIONS STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL TUNING KNOBS, AND IT'S A SHAME THE PICKUPS WE'RE TAKEN OUT. got to be careful about that shit, people will steal vintage pickups and pretend like they are original.

Latest Threads