1960 Burst Restoration

northernguy

Reaction score
"As for the ‘moral’ outrage- as has been stated by various contributors- this was for sale all over the net and at major guitar shows for months, completely ignored, steadily falling in price until the owner offered it to me as a husk as in his own words he was ‘done with it’."

Nobody wanted bursts after 1960, let alone ANY Les Paul and we all know how that turned out.

Rodd

Reaction score
That is simply amazing to me. Nice work, and I enjoyed the detailed pictures and description of the process. Thanks for sharing with us!!

refret

Reaction score
Nobody here said bad things about the "wood/refinish" side of the job. You can only state the obvious about that aspect, so wowing on that isn't adding anything to the discussion.
I'm not convinced. The finished headstock photo I saw was less than impressive: shape, finish, silkscreen, logo all look off to me. The thick neck binding is another major compromise. You can see a witness line around the perimeter of the top in the finish as well.

A black finish would have hidden any work done at the back of the neck to beef it up, and it sounds as if that's all the woodwork that was really needed. Sadly, flame maple doomed this guitar to its cruel and unusual mutilation. Instagram claims another soul.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced. The finished headstock photo I saw was less than impressive: shape, finish, silkscreen, logo all look off to me. The thick neck binding is another major compromise. You can see a witness line around the perimeter of the top in the finish as well.

A black finish would have hidden any work done at the back of the neck to beef it up, and it sounds as if that's all the woodwork that was really needed. Sadly, flame maple doomed this guitar to its cruel and unusual mutilation. Instagram claims another soul.
I didn't see more pictures. Only seen these in this thread, and in another one, but they were more or less same as here.

Do you have any link to the finished headstock?

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just curious, Yuuki. Given the ability to almost perfectly hide the center block, why not make those snakebite holes disappear? Or is that impossible?

neuroy

Reaction score
No !
A black finish (even gold) will never hide the "witness lines". They will show up by time.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
"(...)to bring it back to full ‘60 Standard spec by going back to bare wood and methodically correcting the Custom appointments(...)"

Again, pointing out - a very obvious attempt at trying to push the thought that this is somehow a restoration on us.
Correcting? How can you correct the proper, original specs?
Well, "correcting" in that he believes it was a factory mistake. But do we even know that's true? I would think it more likely to be a custom order than a body clearly bearing a Maple cap getting accidentally routed for three pickups, no?

Blue Blood

Reaction score

Agreed.
The more you look the more the conversion work jumps out in the pictures.

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice work but I would have stayed with this as a three pickup custom and just shimmed the board up and painted it black. Despite the top this would have bought the most money as a refinished black LPC. I bet there are other maple top LPCs out there yet unknown, just like the mahogany top gold tops in the mid-fifties that were probably LPC bodies. They were just milling wood into guitars. To say this was a Burst in hiding seems kind of silly to me...

But hey it sounds good..

treyrab

Reaction score
My problem here is with him calling it a 1960 Burst, including on his official instagram.
Poor guitar. Someone would have loved it the way it was, instead it went to someone who ruined it forever and made it "one of the many" who are neither what they are claimed to be nor what they were originally. Mutts.
"Poor guitar" "Ruined it forever"...... As if a weird refinish, Bursted, flamed Custom was as the guitar was intended to be when it left Kalamazoo o_O

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
"Poor guitar" "Ruined it forever"...... As if a weird refinish, Bursted, flamed Custom was as the guitar was intended to be when it left Kalamazoo o_O
One-offs do happen, you know. It was black originally. A finish change is much less intrusive than an entire reconstruction to make it the mutt it is. How can you know, maybe someone requested a custom like that? It happens.
Joe Bonamassa blackburst anyone? You would refin that one too?

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
Both ends of the story are gorgeous, and I'm sure it's not a consideration for you, but I can't help thinking, 'what have you done to it's value?'
It was a 'refinished 1960 LP Custom', not worth what it would be in original finish, but still valuable. Now, it's just a 'sunburst' lookalike.

moreles

Reaction score
I'd like to add that setting all the hot issues aside for a minute, I want to compliment the OP for the color and depth of the burst on his conversion. The depth in the darks is really attractive, and I like the relationship of the different tones in the burst. I also like the absence of relic-ing. It would be a real mind-warp to take an old guitar, convert it, and then relic the conversion to look as old as the original.

treyrab

Reaction score
Joe Bonamassa blackburst anyone? You would refin that one too?
No I wouldn't....because Gibson finished it in Black at the Kalamazoo factory. The Custom in question was refinished in Sunburst by Historic Makeovers. Pretty simple there and a big difference. :dude: