1960 Burst Restoration

RAG7890

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than a reissue for that guitar honestly. I personally can't perceive any appeal on a guitar with so many patches and stitches, which is basically neither a Custom, neither a burst, neither a replica, neither a restoration....but yeah, you are right. ;) (I'm curious to know if now has more market value than its original status..)
Yeah, it’s sort of why I now stick to Replicas & Custom Guitars. If I wanted a Vintage I’d get a Custom, a ‘54 / ‘55 Wraptail GT or ‘56 GT.

I’m happy with the fact that I don’t need or feel the need to own a Burst Conversion but a lot of guys just have to have one I suppose.

I got off that Train a long time ago now.

:cheers2:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Yes. This thrilling bitchfest will never be the same after I pointed out that the owner is happy with the results and no one else’s opinion matters.

All apologies.
And yet you post your opinion here repeatedly. It's almost like you think the opinion of anyone who disagrees with you doesn't matter...

And if nobody but the owner's opinion matters, why even post a thread? You realize giving opinions is the sole purpose of the existence of this website, right?

Joth

Reaction score
My approach to the thickening/widening of the neck would have been the following:

Add the 2mm mahog layer in the same place you did along the neck, including nut slot
add 2mm mahog layer on the headstock face, then the holly
Remove neck
Shave 2mm off the underside of the heel/tenon surface and reglue to body
Shave from the back of the headstock to correct thickness if necessary
Attach fretboard with the normal binding height

In this way the original neck wood is sunken down into the body 2mm with your new corrective layer above it making up the new 2mm, but overall your neck is now still sitting at the same original plane, and not raising up the level of the fretboard and binding

rockstar232007

Reaction score
The more I look at the OP, the more I scratch my head.

As others have mentioned, it's your guitar, but it was way better looking before.

Btw, if it started out as a Custom (an extremely rare one at that), this wasn't a "restoration". It was a "demolition".

Still looks good, but definitley looked awesome "pre-resto".

yeti

Reaction score
I may be going out on a limb here but I don't think that J@S has any problem finding buyers for his conversions at the prices he asks. I furthermore wouldn't be one bit surprised to find several of the naysayers here or over there in a bidding war over this guitar despite their misgivings and concerns for preserving Gibson's history, etc. Rudi is right, where there's a demand there's someone willing and able to fulfill that demand. Sometimes people disagree over the ethics but I'd call this one "fake outrage" but if you want to walk the walk, stay away from these things, I know I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I don't know what it is but I know what it is not.

NINFNM

Reaction score
If the idea was to convert it for business and not for keeping it (it sounded that he had something personal against customs looks), then the move is even more unfortunate I guess.
I find hard to believe that such a heavily modified conversion is going to be more priced than a refinned and rare maple top factory custom from 1960

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Absolutely amazing work.

Regardless of how you feel about it, it's not a fake or a forgery. Yuuki has been straight up about everything concerning this Les Paul....in fact, with tremendous detail.

Let's reserve those types of comments for the crooks who are trying to rip people off...

Joth

Reaction score
I have a feeling that in the decades to come, people are going to take all of these burst conversions, and turn them back into what they originally were, goldtops primarily of course. This one was a great loss to the Custom fans

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Absolutely amazing work.

Regardless of how you feel about it, it's not a fake or a forgery. Yuuki has been straight up about everything concerning this Les Paul....in fact, with tremendous detail.

Let's reserve those types of comments for the crooks who are trying to rip people off...
Not calling it a "fake" per-say, but if the shoe was on the other foot, and someone decided to convert a '59 'burst into a 3-pickup Custom, everyone would lose their minds.

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Great workmanship for sure...!! Not knowing or being able to prove the production year of the custom would be a jumping off point for me. If it was an original 60 Custom that would have been more desirable to me. It could be a 68 Custom body with a refin and stamped S/N. A lot of work for not knowing the originality of the guitar. Hope you Enjoy making music with your new baby!!

P-Nutz

Reaction score
The "refin" is beautiful; I found the "original" quite fugly ... no LP should ever have three pickups, save it it for your Fenders ...

Not only that, but since it's his guitar, and he has mad woodworking skills, I am all about making it one's own ... pieces of wood from one era are no more sacred than pieces of wood from another ... like pieces from the "one true" X ...

Just my o, of course, like'n alla yours, but I'd rather drive this:

image.jpeg

... than this :
image.jpeg

Jess Sane, here ...

scott 351 wins

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
The "refin" is beautiful; I found the "original" quite fugly ... no LP should ever have three pickups, save it it for your Fenders ...

Not only that, but since it's his guitar, and he has mad woodworking skills, I am all about making it one's own ... pieces of wood from one era are no more sacred than pieces of wood from another ... like pieces from the "one true" X ...

Just my o, of course, like'n alla yours, but I'd rather drive this:

View attachment 343768

... than this :
View attachment 343769

Jess Sane, here ...
Chances are the hot rod t bucket is fiberglass. No sane person would destroy that original Model T.... I would drive both of those cars and enjoy them equally.