1960 Burst Restoration

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
I usually don't have any problems with vintage conversions and restorations, but I'm a bit bummed out on this one. I feel that something that was quite unique has been destroyed.

The quality of the workmanship was excellent however.

irocdave12

Reaction score
There was a minute there before a router came out and fretboard was cut off that you could have had a nice pile of Bonamassa concert proceeds. The woodwork and skills are stunning but to do anything like that to a confirmed unicorn one of a kind that came out of the Gibson factory ...nope not now not ever. That's a sin IMO. Put down the bong and step away from the historical Gibsons....PLEASE

riffsmachine

Reaction score
Unbelievably there are bigots even in the world of guitars......

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
If it were the other way around, converting a Burst into a Custom, I'm sure would have been a much bigger bigots fest.

sk8rat

Reaction score
dont know if this has been answered but whats the weight difference after the conversion?

amused

Reaction score
We don't know the story behind this guitar, how it came out of gibson factory,etc...

So for me, I think JS did a really incredible work to convert it to a proper burst, and would love to hear how it sounds now...

I have a 52-59 and can not be anymore happy about how it sounds, I mean it is by far the best sounding humbuckers LP I have had in my hands...

Let us know JS if you record something with her...

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Call me narrowminded, but that axe used to be a unique original factory LPC, less the refin, and now it isn't. If it were mine (which obviously it isn't), I would have resprayed it black and put the gold hardware back.

The fact that it had a maple cap doesn't mean it was "really a Burst" or even a special order. Kalamazoo certainly wouldn't have been above grabbing a body off the Standard rack if they needed to fill an order for Customs, and certainly it had all the Custom attributes other than the cap.

Reaction score
I suspect Yuuki bought the guitar as a refinished husk for a great price with a plan in mind, and as he's clearly a talented, knowledgeable and enthusiastic artist when it comes to vintage guitars, he's just put his skills to work. Good for him. An artist is free to choose his own materials last time I looked. Some art causes outrage. I like that. It's just wood and a bunch of fabricated metal and plastic parts at the end of the day. Hardly a collector's item.

Dica

Reaction score
The guitar looks absolutely stunning as a Burst.
The Builder did an awesome job and should be praised.

Why? you ask, well the neck was fucked up, that you guys seem to forget.
It had a narrow width at the nut making it feel like a 1966s SG.

I read posts that people said they did not really like it at all.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
Some of you guys are a crack up. It's his guitar. He can do whatever he likes. What I prefer is not important, because I didn't buy it. I recall this thing being for sale. None of you bought it either. If it were so important that it stayed in a certain state, then you you shoulda bought it.

Yuuki, your skills are masterful. I've often wondered how to revert from Custom binding to standard shape, and you did a great job.

dro

Reaction score
I think this Les Paul is very sweet before and after. Restored a 67 SG once and I have to say , You have way more patience than I.
Cudos my friend

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
There was a minute there before a router came out and fretboard was cut off that you could have had a nice pile of Bonamassa concert proceeds. The woodwork and skills are stunning but to do anything like that to a confirmed unicorn one of a kind that came out of the Gibson factory ...nope not now not ever. That's a sin IMO. Put down the bong and step away from the historical Gibsons....PLEASE
Says the guy who has a Alex Lifeson L.P. Axcess with the Floyd Rose in his sig. Takes ballz to accuse someone of being a sinner when you are one yourself! :laugh2::laugh2:

brentrocks

Guitar Hack
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its amazing to me....I just spent over an hour reading this entire thread.

I thought we were a brotherhood of guitar lovers and players. I WISH I had the talent to do half the things that have been do to repair/convert/resurrect some of the vintage pieces pictured on this forum.

I have a lot of respect for a lot of the people here and enjoy seeing all these incredible instruments. I'm no expert...I know enough to be dangerous. I've never touched a 59 burst...I've never touched a 54 goldtop. But I sure can apricate them!

I have a hard time understanding why people just cant be happy for the OPs. What happened to the ol saying, "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all"?

If I took a 52 goldtop and converted it to a stoptail/ABR....would that be wrong? Maybe? But its mine and my choice.